Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

People stay because

a) "They always predict it is going to hit here and it never does"
    b) I'll be safe, I can protect myself
    c) no where to go, and no money to get out
    d) inconvenience of it
    e) government cannot tell ME what to do

Basically a false sense of control over their lives, with C being the only legitimate and very sad issue.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

3. NorrisAlan

53 degrees this morning when I went outside. Felt like heaven.

kmf600, RockyHill and Volst53 like this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Would be hard as hell walking away from everything you’ve worked for and spent a life time building.

All of that shit can mostly be replaced but still I get that it would be rough too.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Folks leave to go two towns over all the time. If it isn't there when you get back, there wasn't anything you were going to be able to do had you stayed. And you may be dead too.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Just heard approximately 300 people stayed in Mexico Beach to ride out the storm. Many unaccounted for.

7. NorrisAlan

Damn. Death toll is going to be horrendous.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

that's why I cringe when people announce the death toll the day after the storm. "2." Probably not...

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I agree. It is amazing how many are blaming others (they told us it was only a Cat 2, they told us the storm surge would only be 6-9 feet; it was 9-12, etc.).

lylsmorr likes this.
  10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Shit

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Bottom line is that hurricanes are still wildly unpredictable. Losing possessions does suck but those are replaceable. Get. The. Hell. Out. when it comes to these hurricanes. So many factors that play into what can do damage and/or threaten your life

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Remember, the narrative with Florence is that the media "exaggerated." You know, because they personally didn't have their house destroyed.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I don't understand why anyone would want to stay. Let's pretend that it is not as bad as they say; they always lose power for days, roads are closed, no gas or food, no phone service. Why would you want to spend days in that?!?

14. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Saw an Instagram video on one of the Cape San Blas pages of some kids out surfing as the hurricane was imminent.... there’s stupid, REAL stupid, [uck fay] Auburn stupid.... and then, at the very bottom, this.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Oh my, IP, you're sounding like one of us

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

85 and muggy as [uck fay] here. I hope you get a runny nose

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Again, not trying to be insensitive, but these are not the people we need reproducing.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My wife went thru Andrew, in a concrete block house, the pressure sucked the sliding glass doors out of the house and tried to duck the roof off. They all knew they were going to die that night. The eye passes over, all the neighbors went out to see how everyone was doing. Some of the houses were destroyed, so everyone picked the house that looked the safest and hunkered down in the bathroom praying. I have been thru 4 storms, and worked about 6? I have seen some sickening devastation from these storms. There is no reason to stay. None. Especially if you live in a [dadgum] plywood siding house. My work puts us in bomb shelters for these things, it's the only reason I stay. If someone tells you to evacuate, [uck fay]ing evacuate. The storm didn't hit your house? Who cares, you took 2 days out of your life to not get killed.

NYY, CitrusCo.Vol and lylsmorr like this.
  19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

IP likes this.
  20. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Here’s a link to the noaa storm damage satellite imagery. Zoom in to the area you are interested in checking out, if your hearts can take it. The Mexico Beach area is heartbreaking. I wanted to see the area where we vacationed last summer and it appears to be relatively unscathed but nobody down there got off scot free.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/michael/index.html#7/30.137/-85.599

IP likes this.