SpartacusVols

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, May 31, 2012.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

You'd think with as few top quality in state prospects we have, they would be easier to focus on and get. That hasn't been the case for a while.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Eh. Supposedly Phil's decision to focus outside of the state turned off some coaches. You'd think that wouldn't be an issue for a guy mentored by Buck Fitzgerald, though.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If those glorified PE teachers want more respect, they should produce actual players.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Ouch.

5. hatvol96

The quality of high school coaching in both football and basketball in this state is disgraceful.

6. JayVols

Ok.

I think my buddy that coached up Teddy Gaines in high school is a **** fine coach.....

7. hatvol96

Then he's the exception, not the rule.

8. JayVols

I was actually being sarcastic. Teddy sucked. He could run like a deer, but he was horrible. Early in my career I found it very easy to outcoach 95% of the freshmen coaches I faced. I know nothing about basketball, but your statements about football coaches is true. There are some very good coaches, but as you said, they are the exceptions.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I resemble that remark you bastard.

10. JayVols

You made a helluva nice first call though. You have potential.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Our staff is made up of guys who know a lot about football. We get the most out of our talent at our school year in, year out. For the most part, though,i agree with Hat.

As for me, coaching is in my blood. I've put the kids to bed early as usual each night this week and been watching film all this week preparing for football camp next week from about 2-5 each morning. All while having basketball camp from 9-1 this week. I've got too much pride to fail.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jeez, NYY, I'd focus on one sport. You run the trifecta.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What the heck man, I thought you just coached baseball

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Teachers without tenure, read me, don't always have the luxury.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kinda odd he is the D-B player that gets the UT offer. We have had several better not even get a sniff. I guess that track speed is what did it.

But are you saying you don't think Graham Clark is a good coach?

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

From what I understand, there's a lack of talent in East Tennessee and poor coaching in West Tennessee? Any truth to that?

edit: I should have finished reading the thread.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The lack of in-state talent hurts, but things like this make it clear that our problem has more to do with incompetence than our recruiting base.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Where do you coach, NYY?

19. JayVols

Yeah, his speed is the only thing that got him an NFL tryout- San Fran, was it? I have been puzzled as to why some haven't been offered.

Clark is a heck of a coach, imo. I haven't seen a HS coach that works harder. I wasn't referencing Graham. I tried to make an inside joke about a buddy of mine. The only issue is that nobody here is on the inside. Poor execution on my part.

20. JayVols

Anyone wondering what call NY made that I was refering to?

Situation:
    Opposition has the ball, 3rd and 4 on their own 40- 3rd quarter.

NY's call?
    He busted out the ole Mustang Package. Pure genius.