Tennessee can compete for the division THIS year.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 10, 2011.

1. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

How many QB's are perfect when they are under some pressure?

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

sarcasm is typically noticed in the voice, which i obviously don't have the luxury of hearing since this is a message board

i guess i am just used to people anointing him as our savior. I would be satisfied with 240 yds, 2 TDs, and 0 Ints. I'm just not sold on him being as good as some people make him out to be. I want to see him put up solid numbers against a solid defense before i go around claiming he is a great quarterback. If he does, i will hop on the Bray train.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

great QB's thrive on pressure. If Bray folds under pressure and has a shitty game, it will show that he might not be as good as everyone makes him out to be.

4. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I guess he still aren't sold on Peyton Manning since he didn't thrive at The Swamp.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm voting for Brady.

6. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

not for one game as a sophomore....the better observation to make is whether he can learn from his mistakes. he is still only a sophomore and this is his first real test. plus it's not just on him....he has a hell of a lot of other guys to back his ass up out there.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Ok, let me clarify since i was not clear originally. When i said I wanna see Bray tear it up at UF like he did the last two games, i didn't literally mean 400 yards and 4 TDs. I am very aware that UF has a much better defense and will be much more challenging for Bray.

Basically, what i meant was that if he is for real, i still expect him to put up solid numbers even against a good defense. they don't need to be "xbox" numbers, but i hope to see a solid game where he manages the offense and limits turnovers. If he can do that in the swamp, i will be sold on him.

8. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Not sure I agree with the OP, but I have to admit that I am cautiously optimistic about this weekend, which would put us in a great position in the race for the East. I think our D will give up a ton, but Im hoping the Bray Air Raid will continue to shine even with some pressure from that Florida front. If......and a big if, we win this game, I dont see any reason that we cant make a play for the East.

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Is this a [penis] reference?

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

And I am saying it is complete BS to say if a kid starting his first major road game has a crappy game (in The Swamp) he's not as good as people think when he's surrounded by other sophomores on the line and at WR and a very young team in general.

Senior QB's struggle at The Swamp.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Bray has the physical talent to be a great QB. I don't really know how he'll handle the Swamp but I believe he'll do fine. He took an ass kicking last year because the OL was terrible. He got hit plenty of times against USCe and UNC (which had a very good D) and UK got to him quite a bit too.

Bray has the luxury of having two phenomenal WRs. He can get it within 3 ft of either one and it's a catch. Even if Bray is off, his WRs can bail him out.

12. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Fair enough.

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

no, one game will show him to be what most on this board claim him to be, a qb with tons of upside that can take us places in the future. As I posted in the first thread where you mentioned something about Bray having to be on fire this game to be real, the real proof in what we have in Bray will be what he does after the UF game. If he's lights out against them in the Swamp, does he get cocky and slide backwards or does he continue to apply the steam and become a Heisman candidate? Or, if he sucks, does he bounce back nicely and perform admirably the rest of the season, as in put up very good SOPHOMORE numbers. You seem to be totally oblivious to the fact he's only started 8 games, none of which were outside the state of TN or in a hostile environment and that's he's only a SOPHOMORE. Not only that, most of his offense is comprised of underclassmen as well. This team needs experience desperately. They are finally going to get some over the next month and a half. Most on this board expect next year to be the year Tennessee finally becomes a contender for the East and SEC crown overall. Anything above 8-4/7-5 this year is considered a bonus by most of us, but we like what we see so far compared tot he rest of the SEC East.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

people are saying his is the real deal. if he is the real deal, i expect him to perform regardless of where he plays. and you keep bringing up that he is "surrounded by sophomores." I've seen multiple state that Hunter and Rogers are two of the best receivers in the country. why does it matter if they are sophomores?

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The OL has 4 sophomores.

Experience is almost as important as talent is upfront.

16. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

you've implied he had to go off multiple times despite Groves and I saying you can't realistically expect that. Now you are backtracking into reality. Good job. I can respect this opinion and it makes my last post meaningless.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

you guys keep talking about how he is surrounded by younger classmen, yet a couple posts above, justin states that he has 2 phenomenal receivers that will catch anything within 3 yards of them. so which one is it? all i see is a bunch of excuses for why Bray might fail.

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

You can't deny the talent of the two receivers, but they too are also only sophomores. This is their first real test too.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I will admit that i said "tear it up," but i never specifically said i expected the same numbers. I, personally, would consider 240 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 Ints, to be "tearing it up" against UF in the swamp. would you not?

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

see, this is where you and i differ. i see two great sophomores that i fully expect to continue to be great. you are making an excuse for them in case they fail. It doesn't matter what year you are. Alshon Jeffrey (sp) tore it up his sophomore year, did he not? aren't we expecting Hunter to be just as good as him?