The Butch Jones Doomsday Clock is now the Jeremy Pruitt Doomsday Clock

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee wants a chancellor in place first

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Preposterously stupid. If the President can't make an AD hire, then he should be fired, too.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

2016-2001 > 10

Unless you are counting Bruce. Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuce < 10.

Average would be 10.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Too logical

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

January is the goal. But it's also the very earliest it could happen.

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I think he would need to drop two more regular season games to get fired. I don't see it. Still think we can win out and that would unfortunately sway a lot of the fan base.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If that is our attitude, the AD should go ahead and make everyone happy. Announce that Butch is already getting a 3 year extension. Right now. Regardless of the rest of the season. Add in that should he eventually be let go or leaves of his own accord our top two candidates to replace him will be Ron Zook and Mike Shula. Should either of those guys be unavailable we may consider Ray Goff or Rich Brooks.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Our fans just want to believe. Unfortunately they're willing to let the program suffer over fear of change.

9. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Paupatine?

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'll take him. We've had the equivalent of Jar Jar Binks.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Would take Rich Brooks in a heartbeat right now over Lyle...

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

13. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

He's gotta be coaching for job in '17 now.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That's what you think. We may have that level of expectation, but it's pretty obvious the AD doesn't.

15. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

So they are going to waste next year too. Gotcha.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How can it not be clear to everyone at this point that he is not a championship caliber coach?

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What would it cost us in buyout today? 12 million?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you just talk about keeping/firing Jones to the average fan, they'll spin you about how things take time and he's a good coach. If you first talk about whether Tennessee will ever win a championship with Jones, then "switch topics" to how many games Tennessee should win a year, then "switch topics to how many Butch Jones is going to win this year with a mentioning of expectations at the start of this one, you can force even the staunchest apologist into a corner.

it ends up looking like this:

Q1: Should we move on from Jones?
    A: No! It just takes time. You have to give him a few years. We'll have to start over if you get rid of him.

Q2: Do you think we have a talented roster? Did you think we were overrated at the beginning the season?
    A: We have a great team, we are very talented. We weren't overrated, we just had a slow start and then injuries caught up with us.

Q3: Why did injuries have such an impact, if we have a talented roster, and many of the backups were no longer freshmen?
    A: Just tough to adjust to all of the injuries.

Q4: Oh, so we didn't adjust well. The expectations this year was a top 10 team that wins the East, and something like 10 or 11 wins. We didn't get there. How many wins do you think we'll get next year?
    A: I think we'll end up with 8/9 wins. We gotta replace Dobbs, build up depth. Injuries killed us.

Q5: So last year Jones won 8 regular season games, this year 9 (this could change, but right now I'm guessing), and next year you expect 8 or 9 in Year 5... What is it that Jones will do in Years 6 and beyond that he hasn't implemented or tried in Years 1-5? Do you expect him to recruit better than Top 5 classes from now on?
    A: ...

Coup de Grace: Which player positions do you expect to be significantly improved in two years, and why?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

It would cost 12 million dollars, but the cost benefits are easily positive if they hire someone that doesn't require google software to describe.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I've been informed by fan base members that not winning the east is no big deal because the sun will come up tomorrow.

I'm now not pissed off that this slack-jawed moron couldn't win the worst east of my adult life. Everything is fine!