The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'll sharpen my skates.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Is there anything the newly elected democratic governor can do?

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's a pet peeve of mine when people use health hazards as cover for other complaints on top of the rest of it.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

[uck fay] the police.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

VolDad likes this.
  7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

State police leaving Portland due to the county DA policies

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

This 5 yr old white kid being executed by his black neighbor while on his bike has people angry.
    Sad all around.

10. fl0at_

Any time a kid gets killed is tough. Just, why?

justingroves likes this.
  11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

At this point, it's really not.

zehr27 likes this.
  12. Ssmiff

We dont see much execution style murder of small children across races, imo, so it jumps out.

13. fl0at_

Are we talking about different murders? I saw a 5 year old shot and killed by neighbor, with child dying in the hospital.

It didn't sound to me like an execution, but there weren't a whole lot of details.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The issue I have with the response is it seems to be based upon a Gotcha! moment against the BLM movement, a Whataboutism to detract from the concerns raised in this summer's protests. They appropriated many of the slogans, as well. I have to question whether this incident would have such a movement if it weren't for BLM and affording people a way to slight it.

As it stands, the killer of this child was apprehended within 24 hours and sits in a cell, where he will be for the rest of his life, no doubt. Justice was never going to be a problem in this case. Not to mention, the contention of BLM was, largely, about the extrajudicial state killing of black people without redress. Regular ass people go to prison for murder all the time.

It's actually infuriating to me to use a child's death as a pawn to make a false equivalency simply to downplay the claims of injustice by another group of people.

15. Ssmiff

Srsly uni back away for a little bit. People are raising hell about it. Period. Social media is blowing up and its getting ugly, along with horrible racial comments on social media. Its a mess.. You arent capable of anything without a left slant, so really i could give a [uck fay].
    Infuriate yourself away. You do it daily. Find another fake reason.

16. Unimane

Point out where I'm wrong in my logic or argument, but cease and desist from your [uck fay]ing idiotic "You can't understand anything because of your left wing bias" bullshit. Can you one [dadgum] time make an argument or are you just going pull this stupid ass "slant" dodge every time? Should everyone ignore you based on your right wing slant? Should I ignore you because you "infuriate yourself every day"?

Make an argument or shut the [uck fay] up. Jesus, every day with you and this bullshit where you never say anything, but [itch bay] about who should get to say what and why.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  17. Ssmiff

You respond to a comment which is 100% accurate, come at me with your mindreading skills, tell me you got a [uck fay]ing problem with my comment, then tell me i was trying to gotcha blm. Srsly. Gotcha blm? I don't know whats more amusing, that genius comment, or your daily defense of blm and antagonization of anyone who questions the organization, or even if its not brought up, you make it the subject as you did here. But, then you get upset when i respond to your bs.

18. Unimane

Your comment? Read it again. I said "the response" which was in reference to your statement "has people angry" and not "your response". I didn't criticize your response because you didn't have one, other than it was "sad all around", which is something everyone would agree.

I was critical because you didn't address any of my actual points and decided my "bias" means I can't discuss it, as you nearly always do. I made point a, b and c, then you come in here and say, basically, "well, you shouldn't talk because you have political opinions", as if anyone doesn't, instead of addressing point a, b and c.

19. Ssmiff

Some of the responses to the story mention killing other white kids uni. Seems like that would be more of a focus than comments which you consider a gotcha attack on blm.

20. Unimane

Who is talking about killing other white kids? For real, who? A couple of crazies on the web, maybe? Of course they are terrible. It still doesn't address my main points.

They are appropriating all the slogans from the George Floyd and other BLM cases, like "Justice for Cannon" or "Say his name", so the connection is pretty obvious and intent clear. So, my point being, again, they are using this kids death for their own purposes as a wedge against a political movement they don't like, which I find disgusting, as I think you or anyone should. I don't think they would highlight the murder of this kid otherwise, especially since I can find numerous kids who are murdered and they don't get this kind of attention (Why don't you care about them! You haven't even focused on them!). The fact the murderer is sitting in a jail cell and they are still pushing their outrage is pretty evident of this fact.

You seem to clearly not understand the sense here I'm getting at with my comments. The outrage isn't this would happen, although it is abhorrent and evil. The outrage would be it would happen AND the culprits would get away with it, which is where you get the Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd protests, among others.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020