The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

What straw man? You said if guilty, they should face charges. I pointed out that this was backwards. I get your point about there being a difference between legaly and morally justified.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pulling up on someone with guns drawn is inherently threatening. That's a fact. If you bring a gun into a situation, it is YOUR responsibility. These [uck fay] heads didn't need to be in arms length of this guy to detain him when they are both armed.

The obvious, normal thing to do would have been to attempt to talk to him. The way things went down, that clearly was an after-thought of holding him up at gunpoint.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Missed that part in the video. I'm not putting much stock in any part of the DA's side of the story. My faith in their narrative hit the floor at this statement.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The DA seemed to have already invested and came up that it didn’t cross the line of him filing charges.

He wouldn’t be the first crooked DA but seemed to not be butt hurt about his family wanting a second set of eyes to look into the case.

If the 2nd DA decides different, than that’s where my statement came from

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If people would just try to stop playing cop-wanna be, a lot of this would stop.

Defending property or someone's life - fine, 100% agree. Driving around trying to question people - ridiculous.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They really screwed up by rushing in close and not giving any margin

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

What's your point? State what you think they were doing if not attempting to detain him. I don't want to get into an endless that's not what I said discussion.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think they were cosplaying as action heroes and wanted to push a barrel into his face. Their interest was not in merely detaining him, but in creating as much fear and projecting as much tough guy hubris as possible. One of the guys was illegally in the back of a truck with a firearm, man. On a road. They were looking for drama and trouble and they found it. That's on them. They were looking to take something from him, even if not something physically

InVolNerable likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't get it. It's just a good way to end up shot or getting killed.

The video looks awful.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

That it is on a public street is why I am so alarmed that there seems to be uncertainty as to whether these dudes should be charged.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think everything you said is entirely possible and maybe probable. I also think there's a decent chance he is still alive today if he doesn't try or have to, whichever it may have been, go toe to toe with the guy on the ground. It's hard to really see whether the guy with the gun had managed to cut him off or if the runner just turned on him because he felt threatened and had no other choice or was fed up over being followed and harrassed at that point or whatever. If he attacked the guy, that was a bad move but it doesn't justify their actions.

I don't think you can ever discredit the claim that they were trying to detain him based on what is shown in the video alone whether you like it or not. Railing about their intentions is pointless. That's why I want to see what criteria this DA is using to justify saying the guys in the truck had any right to detain the supposed suspect. If the DA had believed beyond a shadow that he was guilty, I imagine he would have mentioned it in his brief apologetics paper he sent. I don't hate the GA law he cited (and I quoted above) personally, but if it's going to be a cop out for some reds to go shoot someone, it's a bad law. The thing I read earlier was he looked like a guy in surveillance video. Let's see this surveillance video I say.

IP likes this.
  12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, based on what we've seen, they seem to be getting treated with kid gloves.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

"Looked like guy in surveillance video" is hardly proof of anything. I don't care if they find these guys' stolen goods in the house of the dead guy. That't not justification for two random assholes to play lawman.

If you think he stole your stuff, you alert the guys who are professionally trained to bring in suspects without killing them.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Only because I am not 100% clear of the details surrounding it, or GA law, which I'm guessing is asinine.

That said, if one of his family members went vigilante justice on them, I'd give to his/her defense fund.

SetVol13, IP and justingroves like this.
  15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Justification for shooting him? No, but the law does state you can detain the perp.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I would think there would have to be some very, very compelling evidence that he's the guy, like you found him in your house or carrying your silver.

So if some random dude that looks like me robs a guy then he can "detain" me legally? For how long? What if I'm roughed up in the process or have a heart condition and him sticking a gun in my face causes a crisis? What if it's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt I had no connection to the crime? Am I somehow compensated for my inconvenience?

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I quoted it above, and I have some of the same questions.
    As far as your weak heart and if you live through it, some lawyer might could get you possession of the guy's single wide in court.

IP likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Wish i knew why he still rolled up on 2 stupid and threatening men with guns drawn. Still an odd reaction to me. I cant imagine trying to disarm 2 random shitheads if im just out for a jog.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

What if he's jogging around the truck paying no mind and then suddenly has a barrel jabbed at him with demands? Could have been pure reaction to suddenly having one's life threatened. It may be a matter of semantics, but I'd say they rolled up on him, not the other way around.

InVolNerable likes this.
  20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m definitely not going to throw shade at the guy without details for confronting them.

I’ve been pulled on a few times and it definitely gets the adrenaline going.

Unimane likes this.