The Eclipse

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Aug 14, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

In Knoxville? I think it'll be pretty good. Further south would be better, but you should still look.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Both work and the house are in the totality. Debating between just stepping outside and watching it, or taking off and making a day of it with the crew. Idk.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm considering taking off work and driving up to totality with my wife. School has something planned for the kids.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

4. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Scout camp is making a weekend of it. The fam is only going up for Sunday and Monday. I have non-profit work Saturday. The kids school is in session Monday but I told the headmaster that we wont be there :)

My son crossed over to Boy Scouts this year so this is our last family camp out at scout camp. :(

I am thinking about doing some state parks though :)

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I am doomed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/48867741/...ime-spot-worlds-eclipse-chasers/#.WZWg5lWGOUk

They are advising people to stock up on gas, medicine, and groceries. I think ammunition is a good idea, too. The city has sold 17'x17' squares of the little league park, the soccer field, and the fair ground for viewing. School is closed on Monday and Tuesday. And fortunately, it also coincides with this:

http://www.kellyky.com/

If it were Edgar Cayce's birthday, I'd be sure we've reached end days.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Welcome! Post often!

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So I had planned to just take a late extended lunch for this thing. Now I'm wondering if I should have just closed down completely Monday PM. Got a feeling there will be gridlock throughout Blount County.

8. CardinalVol

Going to be crazy. Honestly, I'd reschedule.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah I thought about driving home for a long lunch but I saw the signs on 129 and decided it's not a good idea

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

If I'm in charge of a school, I'm not allowing it either. Way too much liability. There no way you could make sure all the kids are wearing their glasses or not peaking the entire time.

Granted, not as much of a risk in Miami where the sun will be 20% exposed and will hurt to look at.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Really? I think we don't give kids enough credit in things like this. But perhaps I am wrong.

14. CardinalVol

Last partial eclipse we had I used a welding helmet to look at it.

15. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

My kid's high school ordered a shit ton of 'viewing glasses' on amazon so all of the kids could watch outside. Then, got an email from amazon saying the glasses were no good. Doh!! They're stuck inside watching it on live stream.

16. TennTradition

It's not about trust in them but rather a lack of trust in not getting sued if a kid or two were to have some eye damage.

17. TennTradition

That sucks.

18. TennTradition

I watched the partial eclipse when I was a kid through a pinhole projection on a cardboard box.

19. CardinalVol

Schools are closed since we are expecting a madhouse of traffic, but they are sending glasses home with kids.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Same here. I thought it was the coolest thing.