The Minimum Wage machine

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 19, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let me know where I can try out your crank version.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Is there a version where the bucket of goods available for purchase at min wage stays the same, regardless how high we increase it? Maybe one where min wage keeps people from starving? Maybe one where the folks that choose not to crank have no safety net provided by those cranking other machines?

that might help frame the silly game being played here.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This isn't a personal jab but with your intelligence and amount of schooling you bit off it shouldn't be too hard to find those jobs. You could have focused in engineering or medical and been way above that pay wage

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My biggest gripe about the minimum wage hike, particularly talking about doubling it.

That and suddenly I am making far less "money" as the costs go up but I know I am not going to get a 50% increase in pay to cover it. So some guy at Burger King is going to be making roughly 2/3 my hourly rate, after I have been working for 25 years. I won't scream "not fair" because that isn't it. It is that because of this increase, my value per hour worked goes down because I have to pay for the minimum wage hike.

5. MWR

MWR Contributor

You might want to take up hanging drywall by the foot. The last time I worked in it back in the 80s, it paid around $5.00 per 4x12 board. Since this is usually a 2 man job, if you hung one board a day, you made $2.50 that day. If you hung 100, you made $250.00 that day. However much you wanted to work determined how much you made.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Keep in mind that I am a child of the 90's who didn't have any immediate family or even neighbors who had ever gone to college. I was pretty naive to certain degrees being completely useless in terms of getting a job.

Compound that with a bevvy of veterans coming back looking for job that had special hiring status and a recession that absolutely destroyed the job market for my sort of thing, and it is a pretty deep hole.

So sure, I agree I could have done engineering or something medical and ended up better. If I figure out how to do Ashton Kutcher's Butterfly Effect, I'll correct that.

7. NorrisAlan

Are you so far gone in your field that you cannot give another career choice a go? Honest question.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't do more school. I've done too much school. I am the school.

9. NorrisAlan

There are many jobs that just require "a degree" and don't care what it is.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Sounds like you need to do a few years in the coast guard.

11. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Cali farmers paying upwards $20./hr. Funny how only hispanic and migrant workers take advantage

12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

True. Too, there are six figure jobs that don't require one

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wonder what that pays now.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because those jobs last about 3 months spread out over most of the year? You can't hold down another job because every few weeks you're out picking.

C'mon, you don't really think migrant workers are making 40k a year?

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

yeah in some cases.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Average is 11k from migrant labor (do other things at other times of the year that adds another 5 to 15 k)

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They drive our food system. It's a hard thing to track since they're operating in a black market though

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

No doubt, on both accounts.

19. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Not true. Cali's the nation's #1 food and ag producer, temperate climate allows / provides for year round planting and harvest. 10-12 hr days up to six days a week are not unheard of.

20. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

11K? Reakky? Not sure where you obtained these figures (I assume some Govt site) but it's inaccurate.