The Minimum Wage machine

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 19, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we are talking about cities that don't even bother fixing their side walks.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is a problem. Both Denver and Boulder started including the lines in all new projects in the 1990's and retrofitting them in while doing other projects as well but they both have not ever actually used them. No Californian city has done that and making them to earthquake standards adds an additional cost as well. But that's the old way of thinking. It may be possible to have closed systems on an individual home or block scale. It is definitely doable with large city buildings and has been done in some in the US. CU-Boulder has a dorm built in the mid 2000's which a self-contained grey-water system that recycles shower water for toilet use, but they can't turn it on because state law is not clear if that is legal to do by Prior Appropriation rights and everyone is scared they'll get sued.

These technologies don't solve the problem, but if widely implemented they'd set the rate of consumption back to what it was a couple of decades ago or more. Large buildings waste a lot more water than individual homes, because there is a more direct connection between the consumers and who pays the bill.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unlike sidewalks, reducing water demand can actually save money on infrastructure. Or hurt revenue. All depends on proper planning and such. So ya, American cities suck at it.

4. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Inaccurate. Again, planting as well as harvest is yr round. So the need for laobor is ... that's right, yr round. Didn't say they stayed at one location. Too, for those interested there's available work in ID, OR, and WA.
    As for going to and fro (Mexico) that's by choice not due to lack of work just ask the farmers who have had crops rotting away in their fields

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're just going to have to disagree about how steady that work is.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

preaching to the choir. our water infrastructure is terrible. $5 billion and they could fix most of our water problems. peanuts if you think about all the money we spend on other shit in this state. edit: like $10 bil on a bullet train to nowhere.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there are definitely significant periods of downtime. that's why certain times of the year you see 200 guys at your local home depot rather than 50.

8. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Okay, but FWIW ...

And these are just the legal (documented) migrants

9. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

True, there are those who would prefer to not follow the work / move around

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm missing where this is contradicting or supporting anything.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

People in Mexico would risk ther lives to get to such a machne.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

And people in SE Asia would do the same to get to Mexico. A race to the bottom is not one I want to run.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'll come do it

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Keep in mind that when the lines inevitably break due to an earthquake, they'll act like it was something you did.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Both of you are right. Most of the labor is needed for most of the year due to successional planting and always needing to harvest crops.

High labor crops like raisins are more seasonal

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pex bends

17. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

This is really interesting stuff.

18. kidbourbon

Retrofitting is where it's at, amirite? Somebody or multiple somebodies is/are going to make a killing if/when the State requires new/retrofitted water lines. And this is 10x true if that individual/entity has patent protection on nifty technology -- both devices and processes, potentially -- that makes this easier and cheaper.

Groves: joint venture?

19. kidbourbon

The State of California spent 10 billion on a bullet train to nowhere?

Okay, I just googled it. There does appear to be a train and some public spending, but it looks like it's between LA and San Fran, no? I mean, we can argue about its utility, but it isn't 'to nowhere'.

Is Elon Musk still planning on going through with his Hyperloop? Is that going to be completely private or will it get public funding? The hyperloop thing is freaking badass. i imagine that the wheels (anti-pun not intended) were already in motion on that project prior to Musk coming up with his idea. Because if you've got the hyperloop, why would you put in a train? It becomes not just redundant, but archaic.

Okay, I just googled that as well, and here's the answer: Musk came up with the hyperloop as a direct result of the fact that the train "reeked worse than his nuts did." *

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-musk-to-build-hyperloop-test-track-in-california/

*Actual quote.

20. kidbourbon

What are they doing at the home depot? Looking for work on the idea that somebody buying stuff from home depot is doing a project and thus probably needs help with said project? If so, I think they'd be better off hanging out at a uhaul store. You should tell them, dros. Help em out.