The Minimum Wage machine

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 19, 2015.

1. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Bingo. Cash pymt virtually impossible to track

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

don't me started about California subsidizing the rest of the country with giving the farmers free water.

3. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Hahahaha That too

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hangers in Nashville are making around 270 a day depending on the size of the job

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I felt that way after 4 and a half years. I can't imagine doing it as long as you did

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is SOOOOOOOOO true. And completely ignored nationally. You guys have to start monetizing your ground water. It isn't necessarily a renewable supply.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not bad. Kinda crazy that the number is similar after 30 years though.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know it's higher on big time commercial jobs, but I can't say for sure what it is.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I was driving through the central valley recently. nothing for miles. then we hit a row of almond groves. right next to the driest area possible. it's ****ing ridiculous. residential needs to live on nothing why we use exactly the same amount of water for almonds as the residents use just so the rest of the country has cheap almonds? really?

10. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Blue Diamond baby

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Stick that crank up your ass, I make more money sitting at my section 8 house, texting my [itch bay]es on my Obama phone, while watching Wendy Williams on my free satellite. Now, go fix me some steak I just bought with my SNAP.

12. MWR

MWR Contributor

When my Dad worked in construction in Knoxville in the 60s, he would work until he made $100.00 that day - usually about 2:00 - then load up his tools and come to the house. It goes without saying that $100.00 was a lot more money back then than it is now.

If I went to work hanging next Monday, I would be doing good to hand 20 boards a day, and I would be too sore to walk Tuesday. It's a young man's game.

We were working in a suburb of Washington DC in big residential houses. And even with that kind of money, I was glad to get outta there when the week was done.

In a totally unrelated matter, we were hanging drywall in Vero Beach FL in the early 80's and making some good money, until a whole freight train load of Mexicans came in and commenced to hang the drywall. Even back then, I could see the future and it didn't look good.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

access to fresh water is going to be the battle ground of the next couple hundred years. the guy that can solve washing clothes and people with minimal water will be the wealthiest guy in the world some day.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That stuff falls from the sky around here.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Water laws in the West have to catch up. You aren't allowed to recycle your own grey water right now, which is the easiest path for finding ways to solve those non-consumption water use things.

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

So showering with water that's already been mixed with nutsweat? Things of that nature?

[video=youtube;Dv9QljTTB7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv9QljTTB7E[/video]

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

only certain cities in California have been serious about it. my water bill hasn't really even gone up.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Everything you said is absolutely true except the part where you said what I said isn't true. When things are in the field growing, there is nothing for a hand to do. They spend a lot of time finding or getting to the next site or waiting for the next thing, and all-told it isn't a full-time job. That's the whole "returning to Mexico, then coming back" thing. The migrant part.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sometimes, and they do that in some places. The water is treated to some extent, but isn't potable. Much of Australia has a similar water situation as the western US. There, the only potable water comes from your kitchen sink and your bathroom sink. Toilets, shower, and anything else are not potable-- doesn't mean it isn't clean and clear subjectively. It wastes a lot of energy and water to make all water used potable just for a lot of it to be sprayed on lawns or for rinsing off your junk.

It took a severe water shortage for Australia to enact these changes, and now they are an unnoticeable part of life.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

problem is you'd have to run new lines to everything.