The Quarterback position at the University of Tennessee

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I agree with this.

There are some who play better / worse when the lights come on, than in practice / drills.

But I've never, ever, ever seen a player who was timid / overwhelmed / "scared" in practice, turn into a confident and fearless player come game time. I'm sure it's happened. Perhaps more often than not. But I've never seen it.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Tyler Bray was more athletically gifted than any two QB's on the roster right now, and he wasn't afraid to try and prove that each game. Every problem he had could have been fixed, with proper coaching and a stronger staff around him.

The current QB's are less talented, and there's not a gamer in the bunch. You can't "fix" what's wrong with them, in almost all cases.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

First overtime against UNC.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Exactly. One good example vs four or five bad ones. And he still threw a pick to lose us that game.

5. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I realize this, but I'm not talking about the hypothetical Tyler Bray that plays for a competent coach who commands a modicum of respect. I'm talking about the one that played here from 2010-2012. And he is a really bad example to use when you argue that a brave gunslinger makes the difference in close games.

6. kidbourbon

You asked for one.

And he also got offensive help in that game to the tune of 27 total rushing yards on 29 carries. I think his effort should be applauded.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Perfect. This post exemplifies what binds folks on this site together. Despite many different backgrounds, beliefs and outlooks, we all want to see UT return to greatness; however, none of us are willing to sacrifice our intellectual honesty or rely on blind hope/boundless positivity on the journey back to prominence.

8. kidbourbon

[video=youtube;Cu1JMbSLPvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1JMbSLPvc[/video]

(you left me with no choice)

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm ok with that. Just get the squirt gun ready for NY. He'll be all worked up after seeing this. He'll think he's in a sexual Golden Corral. He'll need to be squirted to cool him off a bit.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

He won lots of games, just for the wrong team

11. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

During his career, how many games did Bray actually lose for us? I tend to place a good bit of blame on the garbage two deep and the soft brained ***** mama's boy who coached him.

12. kidbourbon

Saying "quarterbacks win games" is stupid in and of itself. Saying that about Tyler Bray at Tennessee is well past stupid.

13. kidbourbon

Liked for "sexual Golden Corral". Very nice.

14. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

His late game/OT turnovers cost us:

UNC
    UK
    UGA
    USC

Although he did drive down the field for the winning score against Troy, but that was Troy.

15. kidbourbon

Oh, Tyler Bray "cost us" the UGA game? The Scar game?

ayfkm?

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah he did throw a late pick, but i have a hard time blaming the QB when you get beat 45-42 or whatever it was

17. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

51-44. We scored Forty ****ing four points, but it was the QBs fault. And UK playing a WR at QB the whole game and still moving the ball on the D was also the QBs fault.

18. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I realize that the defense sucked, I realize that Bray was a large part of the reason that we were in any of those games in the first place. But when you say this in regards to Bray:

It's not true, because those were the situations that brought out the worst in him. It's all well and good(and true) to say that the defense undid most of the hard work he did, but when you're driving down the field late in the game, it is on your QB not to give the ball back to the other team. In that situation, he did more often than he didn't.

19. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Goddammit nobody is saying that Tyler Bray single handedly lost any of those games. Where did I say that?

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Honestly I put this one more on the QB, just from stuff you heard about his attitude and all, and how ineffective the offense was all game. Much is made of UK playing a WR at QB, but they scored 10 points.