The Trump Effect

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 11, 2017.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He chapped so many asses in the election cycle that he was never going to have an outstanding approval rating early in the presidency.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

1. I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of this election. Unlike you, I had no illusions that, if Hillary won, it was because she was well liked and supported by the majority of Americans. I knew the reality was this was an election between two disliked people running piss poor campaigns and there would only be a winner because there had to be one. The majority of Americans disliked them both and that continues for Trump. Again, a majority of Americans disapprove of him as president.

This is almost unprecedented for a modern American president in his first month in office.

2. You are also still missing the point as you harp on the bolded part. The bolded part referenced the wildy pro-Trump polls of Rasmussen, which are well above the other polls on his approval. My point was even if you do accept the Rasmussen polls, then he lost 6 points in a week, which means that his message isn't resonating in the manner you believe.

3. The people championing him and being indifferent towards him battling with the media is smaller than you think and, clearly, already hurting him and will become smaller the longer he does it. No one elected him to wage a pissing match with the media. Most people think it's silly, at best, and stupid, more often than not.

4. He didn't get elected because he waged war with the media. Do you really think people gave a shit about that when pulling the lever? Every time he went to battle with the media, he lost ground to Hillary. I guarantee you that the majority of people are even less willing to support a media war when he's supposed to be running the country.

You really think people are happy about reports of him taking so much time in his day to check out the cable news shows and respond to them on a daily basis?

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Polling was designed to capture the popular vote. Obviously.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Your dumbassery was that you cited 63 million people as the sum total of those supportive of either of the two policies. I said that's stupid as hell. Im right.

You can't even remotely support that idiocy. You can't even cite a tenet of the other side that would undermine my calling it idiotic. Anecdotal stupidity won't support you.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He was at 59 points last week. That's not a majority of Americans despising him.

He has been warring with the media for two years. He was still elected President. It's not why he lost 6 points.

6. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

You clearly are lost. In the midst of conjuring one of your six favorite words of vitriol, you've misplaced your ability to follow the conversation. So have fun with that.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

True

8. Tenacious D

And you wonder why the media is so mistrusted and reviled?

Does this seem in any way like objective reporting? Listen how many times and in different ways he's asking the same question, with a slight variation, despite very clear and sound reasoning from Chaffetz:

Part 1 of 2
    [youtube]yH6s3CaeMG8[/youtube]

Part 2 of 2
    [youtube]UDcx2b44IKs[/youtube]

They literally have no idea what else to do, or say.

9. Unimane

He's not at 59%, nor was he. I feel like I'm talking to a wall, same explanation over and over again. That was one poll way off the other polls. You cite it, continually, because it always has the best numbers for Trump out of the many other polls.

And, yes, the media war has hurt him. He's the president now and most people don't want to see the president spending so much time in petty, juvenile Twitter fits with the media, which is why he his running at about 42-45% approval in his, supposed, honeymoon phase.

10. Tenacious D

I cite that poll because it is universally accepted to be an entirely reputable source.

It was you - and not me - who said that he was at 59% just last week, and in that very same poll.

You're entitled to your opinion / personal preference about how his war with the media has harmed him. It's just wrong.

11. Unimane

It is universally accepted? You sure? (And, actually, that was you who mentioned the Rasmussen 59% poll last week, too) Regardless, there are a lot of polls out there, reputable ones, even. I just wonder why you keep going to the one that suits your perspective on Trump as opposed to the 90% that don't. Even I, as partisan as I am, haven't even presented one singular poll as truly representative.

If you want to believe that most Americans are interested or supportive of the president engaging in a [itch bay]y tit for tat with the media, then you can continue to believe that absurdity, I suppose. I'm sure the average American finds his historic showdown with CNN as important as health care, immigration reform, etc.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just going to use the worst poll.

13. Unimane

The furor over the Elizabeth Warren shut down by Mitch McConnell seems to continue this theme that she is the presumptive heir to the 2020 nomination for Democrats. I don't think this is going to happen. She's too old and more of a shit stirrer than a potential president.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I do not care for the use of the Presidential Pulpit to push a family member's business.

15. Unimane

Also, please tell me that Trump did not have to ask what the New START Treaty when talking to Putin, then say it was a bad deal. After this and getting informed by Merkel about the Geneva Conventions, I wonder if someone has told him it was not wise to ask foreign leaders to school him on international treaties.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

She is a shit stirrer

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I could only conclude the Dem leadership really wanted not zero, not 4, but 8 years of Trump.

18. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Choosing every single issue, actual or imagined, as their hill to die on isn't helping them at all. It's pretty sad.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

They don't know how to use polls. They've got this polling now that the majority of democrats want them to fight on EVERY SINGLE ISSUE. But just because they make 2/3 of their base happy doesn't mean they aren't pissing off the rest of the country- you know, the ones that help win elections.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It's sad when Gorsuch goes up there and speaks his mind on the President's actions towards the court candidly, and Schumer goes on the attack, acting like it's not good enough--that it's either too weak or that the White House put him up to it. I wanted to punch him in the face.