tvols75 Is Among The Biggest Dumbasses I've Encountered on a Message Board

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by LawVol13, Jun 20, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I am too. UT was good when I was there. And the football players, as a whole, were dumber than several bags of [Richards].* Travis Henry is actually one of the dumbest human beings I've ever met. Like so dumb that I considered for a second whether perhaps he'd had a lobotomy.

*Exception: Deon Grant was bright.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

What about a graduate of Virginia who was responsible for that football team?

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Bingo.

To borrow another line from The Program, 'When was the last time 80,000 people showed up for chemistry experiment?'

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, he was and some others were not bright either. But they could pass classes, damn it. C's at least to be staying eligible. There are 100 people on a team, and most of them are bright enough to bring up that average considerably.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Agreed. If I may add that athletes get their choice of professors and have more free access to help than any other students.

6. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

This.

I knew a good number of athletes in college that could tear it up on the baseball diamond or basketball court, but they lacked the cognitive function to open a [uck fay]ing textbook. As a result, they wound up being suspended for a semester from their sport due to piss poor academic performance, or they dropped out/got kicked out.

7. kidbourbon

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It will have zero effect on anybody looking for a job with a degree from Tennessee.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A coach isn't worth a shit if his players are ineligible. They'll get the athletes to attend enough class to pass.

10. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That is a better way of saying the point I was trying to make about the cheapening of my degree.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

And the person who made that hire is no longer here, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you want to look at it.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Unfortunately the brilliant Lang Wiseman was no match for Wade Houston.

14. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

The same kids I referred to are the ones that would walk into class late with absolutely nothing to take motes with and walk in on test day asking when the test was.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

And for the record, second hand sources say attendance is about 80 % of the problem with the athletes that have been struggling.

16. kidbourbon

I was in Engineering, so I didn't have the daily contact with FB players, past my freshmen year, that guys in other majors might have had. But, based on my own limited observations, UT football players -- in addition to not being bright -- were not disciplined either. They went to class pretty much when they damn well pleased.

Could it be that there is a reverse cause and effect? That administrators and professors will go to greater lengths to support the ridiculous charade that is "student-athletics" when the program is a program to be proud of? "Well, hell, they won a national championship...I guess I can give him a C".

17. hatvol96

I'm not sure how one could look at things and see Hamilton's departure as unfortunate.

18. hatvol96

It always is.

19. kidbourbon

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's unfortunate that he was here in the first place to make the hires that he did.