UT's Offense is Compared to Unhygienic Genitalia

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Nov 29, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

This. I've never understood the "you have to treat the former coach well to get a new coach" argument. If the guy is already worried he's going to get fired 2 years down the road then that's a bad sign anyway. there are certainly ample examples of people firing a coach after 2 and 3 years and hiring someone far better.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Because why would a top tier coach that is either a) currently in a good spot, or b) is a up and comer and can choose to be picky go somewhere where expectations would be considered ridiculous to a coach or an agent.

You could overpay or offer a beyond ridiculous buyout, but that's not sound either.

For better or worse, it seems Butch has a well enough national reputation in the coaching community that others might not be running to talk to Hart for a shot at the job.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think guys are rightly concerned about nutball administrations, and would be careful about walking in to work for one.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Meh. A guy who knows he can get it done would relish coming into a situation like Tennessee's. Rebuild a top program. Be worshiped for doing what hasn't been done in a decade and a half ... it all feeds the ego. Top coaches got swag.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

They all "know they can get it done"

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Then the fact that we ran off [ddiapos] and (potentially) Butch Jones will be of little concern.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well we will see who Nebraska signs because they just fired a 9-3 coach. I'm going to guess they do fine.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Who has been there for 7 years I believe. A big difference from firing someone after 2 years of a massive rebuilding project.

Not sure how much firing someone after two years affects your potential hiring pool, but I don't think the Nebraska situation is the same as UTs.

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I agree, 6-6 is where I thought they'd finish up at the beginning of the year. Losing to UGA by 2 pts was tough but losing to FLA is definitely my biggest disappointment for the year. So close...5 more points makes this team 8-4.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Well also a big difference between 9-3 and 6-6 and 5-7. I'm not suggesting he should be fired, but I am suggesting that it would hurt finding someone else

Stanford fired walt harris after 2 years and hired harbaugh.

Colorado fired embree after two years and hire Macintyre (very highly regarded).

11. JohnnyQuickkick

I don't think putting [ddiapos] and Butch Jones in this same category is a thing

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

why?

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Tyrone Willingham

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Sure it is.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what about him?

Charlie weis was very highly regarded when he was hired. he was probably in line for an NFL head coaching job before he took the ND job.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

thought he was on the lap band surgery wait list to deal with his BUP.

17. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Add him to the list of firing in that 2-3 year window

18. JohnnyQuickkick

If you guys think [ddiapos] = Butch Jones, knock yourselves out and I'm done.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ah. then you can add ron zook too who was replaced by meyer. edit: and zook never had a losing record at florida. I was looking at guys fired after 2 years.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

just asked how they aren't in the same category. Both have been head coaches for multiple years at UT and neither has won anything.

At a very minimum, they're comparable. Butch is a better recruiter. Dooley had a better staff.