Where were you?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NYY, Sep 11, 2014.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

13 years ago when the biggest tragedy of our lives happened? Thoughts? Memories?

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Presidential Cafeteria eating breakfast and doing homework. Went back and woke my roommates up in Andy Holt. Skipped classes and stayed in front of TV all day. Was surreal and devastating.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Hungry Bear subshop getting a bacon, egg, and cheese sub. Howard Stern was on the radio and reported a plane hit the tower. We thought it was a joke until we got to the break room and the second plane hit tower #2. I was in shock. Then they reported the Pentagon crash.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I was working at Y-12 at the time, which certainly gave a jolt of reality as it became unclear just how far reaching the attacks were going to be and the heavy weaponry started being broken out at the site. I was late leaving the site as they cleared it out due to a failed speaker, which made for an interesting situation.

I'm pretty sure now, 13 years later, that the tremendous sense of loss and emotions when thinking about that day are never going to away.

I think that the complete uncertainty of what the coming days were going to bring is something that really sticks with me. It's probably the closest I've come to feeling the concern that many in the world unfortunately find commonplace. It's a rare thing for we Americans, outside deployment or foreign duty stations in times of conflict.

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That had to be scary as hell. We were worried because we were close to a couple of nuclear power plants too.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Walking to freshman biology class in high school, I saw that people were acting differently and just quiet in general. Then, I get to class and see what happened. I just sat and watched the coverage for hours at school. I didn't know what to do or think. It was a scary day.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Room 308 of my school- beginning of 2nd block. A student I had known since he was born told me a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I flipped the TV on to see what was going on being suspicious after the semi-successful truck bombings at the WTC. I was getting ready to start teaching when the 2nd plane hit. Told the class that we were under attack. We all watched in silence after I told them that they were witnessing history in the making and nothing I could teach could top what they were seeing.

What stands out to me is football practice after school. The sky was a beautiful cloudless blue. The New York to Atlanta flyway goes over the area and is heavily traveled. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. The air itself felt heavy and an eerie quiet seemed to envelop everything. I'll never forget that gorgeous sky nor that all-encompasing silence.

God bless all the families that lost loved ones in the attacks and the actions taken afterwards. And God bless the United States of America as well as all those who defend her.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

[video=youtube;NlRTyt6dALM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlRTyt6dALM[/video]

The stories like this are some of the best things that could come out of this tragedy. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

'Merica

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My wife and I had plane tickets to travel to Mexico that Friday. Needless to say, those plans were cancelled but I was ready to leave as soon as the airports opened again, but my wife was scared to death. It took 2 years for her to be ready to fly again.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I was a junior in high school, sitting in my first period bullshit computer programming class. The guy sitting next to me was a senior, we played football together and he was getting all his stuff in order to be a Marine.

The teacher flipped the TV on and we all sat in silence.

When we went to practice football that day, our coach brought us in after about 5 minutes and told us to go home and hug our families. That made it really sink in.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I was a senior in high school. I remember a teacher coming to the door and our teacher turned the tv on. We went from the usual talking to a silence that you could feel. I remember my first thought being, "life as we know it is over."

I truly believe a lot of people, myself included, sort of lost our innocence that day. Most of us were too young to fully grasp what Pearl Harbor was, or to feel the anguish of losing a President. This was our defining moment that the world isn't just cookies and milk all the time.

I do, however, look back and think about the camaraderie that the Nation went through. As someone stated to me when we were talking about this a few years ago, it was as if we had the feeling that a complete stranger 'had our backs.'

To this day it still angers me more than it upsets me. Especially seeing those folks hanging out of the windows of the 100th floor. No human should have to debate whether or not to burn alive, or jump 100 floors to their death. The act of cowardice that this took should never be forgotten. Today, or ever.

12. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

I was a senior in high school and my girlfriend's cousin came up to me and said a plane had hit the WTC. The TV was already turned to CNN when I got to my next class. We had just started class when the second plane hit and we stopped class and watched CNN for the rest of class. I'll never forget the feeling of seeing the towers collapse. My next class was history and was taught by an old coach. He simply said there is nothing he can teach us today more important than what is on the tv.

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Walking through the front door of Reese Hall. Everyone was gathered around the desk watching, and at that exact moment, a second plane came in.

14. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Dental clinic at Fort Carson waiting for a root canal. When I arrived the first tower was ablaze, with conflicting reports of what'd happened, and shortly thereafter the second was hit. **** those people.

15. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I was at Ft. Campbell walking out to the flightline to pre-flight my aircraft when my best friend yelled at me to come and "look at this shit on the TV". Less than a month later we were in Uzbekistan.

16. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Did you actually get your root canal done that day? That's pretty good if you did because it seemed like Campbell completely shut down and everyone was glued to the TV.

17. Joseph Brant

Just saw the crash video on Fox, I simply can't bear to see it anymore. The rage isn't good for me these days.

18. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Home from college for my great aunts funeral. My mom had to gone to work half a day and called. I got up n went into my brothers room and turned on the tv. Ran n yelled at the bathroom door n told my dad who was in the shower. We did the funeral but there was a weird creepiness I had never sensed before. By the time we finished there was talk about gas stations having to ration gas and banks closing. We had 1/4 tank in the car and had to drive 30 miles to find a gas station that was open.

19. Joseph Brant

Negative, called back to my troop, then lots of guard and field time following. Ended up getting it at Camp Casey the following spring, they kept packing it with temporary fillings until then.

20. VB refugee

VB refugee New Member

I woke up and turned the TV on. ABC was already on because of MNF, and they just started the coverage of the first tower being on fire and reports that a plane hit it