Where were you?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NYY, Sep 11, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm no longer shocked.

I was asking a friend back home some stuff about the Bobo case earlier this week and she told me that they were telling us what they wanted us to know. She then told me Sandy Hook never happened. This is a relatively smart girl too.

People believe what they want to believe.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'm no longer shocked some people think this - but to say that on the airwaves of a mainstream pop and soft rock station? Shocked.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is amazing. You have a real, honest to goodness conspiracy committed against the people of the USA, but they would rather believe crackpot theories that are easily disproved.

You insult those that died that day and the days after in combat when you regurgitate this shit.

4. CardinalVol

Eh, a few month after Daryl Kyle died in 02 a couple of DJs in Arizona called his wife on radio and started asking her all these perverted questions on the air. I'm honestly not that shocked. Shock jocks in it to make a buck. Controversy sells.

5. TennTradition

They kept their jobs?

6. TennTradition

I deleted the preset and will let ClearChannel know as much.

7. CardinalVol

I know they were suspended. I don't remember if they were terminated or not.

Either way, I'm not that shocked these people did it either. I agree they should be shown the door, I'm just not shocked they did it.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If I could be certain that I would be stationed on any US Navy vessel that the Sea Shepard and Paul Watson were going up attack, I'd re-enlist.

A French Navy vessel (IIRC) once fired on and sank the original "Mothership" for Greenpeace.

I remember having discussions at the time, wishing that the Navy would seize their (new) "Mothership", put a reactor on it, and sail the world to educate people on the wonders of nuclear energy. But alas, damned liberals.

9. TennTradition

The weird part is that I don't think they were going for shock value. The man asked the woman to post the youtube video on their Facebook page and she was obviously hesitant and said he could do it. He said just give the full name so people can look it up.

I have no doubt they were sold and were just having a chat about it on the airwaves.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Legit LOL.

11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Obviously not.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm glad you took my post for the silliness that it was.

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Balls deeep

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I had just walked to the office at school when someone walked in and said that one of the towers had been hit by an airplane. I went back to the room and cut my TV on. Sat and watched the rest of the day with a bunch of scared middle school kids.

I thank each and everyone of you that have served this country, many respects.

15. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Wow. I spent most of the morning reading each post in here. First, Smokysbark & Rockytop--and any others who served--thank you for your service, gentlemen.

I think it was NYY who said that yesterday was a stark reminder that we're getting old and, reading through here and seeing how many of you were in still in high school or not even, reminds me of the same. I walked into a staff meeting the other day at work it was like all of a sudden everyone noticed I was going gray...ugh. Better to turn gray that to turn loose. I'm not that old but...there's definitely a generational gap on here.

After taking the previous 18 months to do nothing but play, work, and play some more, I had just started back to school--Vol State, to be exact. Before the school year began, I went to speak with an admissions counselor at Circle Park to ask her what UTK needed from me in order to gain admittance to school. Basically, they wanted one semester with a very competitive GPA and I was in...so I was on a mission, one semester then I'm in.

I had a Public Speaking class that morning at 8(cst). Afterwards, I had an hour break which I would spend studying in the library. As I was walking in, there was a TV beside the front desk that was on but I wasn't paying much attention. However, I do remember seeing a building and then an explosion out of the corner of my eye. I thought it was a group project or just s few people gathering around watching something for school. I grabbed a booth, walked back to the cafeteria to get some coffee but then noticed a large group sitting down watching the TV and, again: a plane, a building, and an explosion. Something was up, I just didn't know what but I knew it was serious. I rushed back to the library where I saw a guy I knew and asked him what was going on and that's when he told me that two planes had hit the World Trade Center towers, another hit the Pentagon, and that there were possibly more planes in the air with targets. My first thought was "WAR."

I called my mom, she filled me in. I had like 3 more classes that day but I left immediately. I drove back home and arrived about 5 minutes after my dad. He and I sat there for an hour watching, talking, just...I don't know the words...stunned seems like its not enough. I don't think I turned off the TV for 3 days. I couldn't look away.

I visited an recruiting office that Friday, got some information and talked with a recruiter over the next couple of days. I would not take the time I had in Knoxville away for anything but a part of me always wished I would have enlisted. I got my degree, met my wife a couple of years later, and life's great...but I have the most profound sense of respect for those who fight for our country because the courage it takes just to enlist is admirable enough but to do the job...hat's off to all of our servicemen and women.

Sidenote: I did not find this out until last year but a friend of mine from high school was in the Pentagon when it was hit. I don't know where but he was close enough to have gotten injured pretty badly, as he required multiple surgeries, especially on his hand/wrist. The first time he mentioned it, it was just in passing...I stopped him and was like "wait...you were there??"

Him: "Hell yeah I was there, f*ing VA F*ed up my wrist so many times, they had to operate three times..."

He didn't give many details, all I know is that most everything around him was on fire, collapsed, or on top of him...and I wasn't about to push.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014