Who will be our Saban?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Dec 19, 2011.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I see some saying Pete Carroll. While its no doubt that he can recruit and coach, he also was at Southern Cal. Talent everywhere you look. He would struggle to attain the level of success here that he attained at USC imo. Another thought is, he like Kiffin, would probably not be very comfortable with the surroundings of being the UT head football coach. Just my two cents worth on Pete.

Here is my dream scenario (If Dooley gets canned)
    May be far fetched but I can see it more than I can Pete.
    While it does not look promising at this point, lets say that the 49ers tank next season, and Dooley gets flushed. If the 49ers were to fire Jim Harbaugh, could UT get him? He coaches power running and hard nosed D. The job he did at Stanford is unbelievable.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think this would be awesome. I think it is about as likely as me replacing Keith Richards in the Stones. But it would be awesome.

3. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Harbaugh has job security for a few years in SF.even if they sucked next year.

4. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Dooley is laying a bigger egg today with the JUCO's than he did against Kentucky. I thought that was the reason to keep him around another year.

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I thought about mentioning that. I figured he would get a few more years.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Unless something changes drastically, he can tank and probably still win the NFC West for the next 3 years.

As for Carroll, everyone thought Saban at Bama would be short-lived because of the expectations and them suffocating him. He's surived. No reason to think for the right $$$ that Carroll couldn't survive here.

7. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

DID ANYONE ELSE JUST HEAR THE OTIS JACOBS SIGNED WITH TAMU, just a few days after he verbally committed to us?

8. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

JUCO can start signing today. Otis Jacobs was a prized JUCO.

9. GoVols

GoVols Member

I will be cheering for the Seahawks to tank next year. I would love to see Pete in Knoxville. Tennessee spends the lowest percentage of its revenue on coaches in the SEC. It's time to stop bargin hunting and spend the money on a quality coach.

It's not like anyone has mentioned anyone better at this point.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think there's much better than Pete to mention

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Only thing that worries me about Carroll is NCAA issues. He wasn't running a clean program at Southern Cal, and I really don't want to live in fear of the NCAA snooping around. Can't really think of any other remotely realistic NFL coach that I'd take first though. If he has the kind of year I'm expecting next year, I'll be on the Charlie Strong bandwagon. His ridiculous youth excuse lasted about four games. And then he just started winning anyways.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm a fan of Charlie Strong myself

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

The 49ers are more talented and they've got their coach now. I think the Rams rebound with a healthy Bradford and Jackson. They get a top tier pick this year and look out. The Cards are the Cards...

14. GoVols

GoVols Member

After thinking about this some more, I want Chris Peterson. He develops kids, doesn't need 5-star players, and his teams compete.

He is making $900,000 a year. Let's go offer him $4.5 mill and see what he has to say. It's not like another Kellen Moore is walking through the door anytime soon.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dan Hawkins says hi

16. GoVols

GoVols Member

Code:

Who do you suggest we go after?

17. tripper

tripper Member

I'll say Al Golden. I believe we could pull him from Miami.

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Al Golden is the guy I wanted last time around, but unless he has a huge year next year, he's not going to be the hot name that the fans want.

19. GoVols

GoVols Member

Isn't his dream job Penn State? I would hate to get burned by a coach using us as a stepping stone again.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator