Who will be our Saban?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Dec 19, 2011.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I like Todd Beckman. Depending on how he does at Illinois I would not mind him on the hill.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Exactly. Losses are always going to happen to some degree. It is a competitive league.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don't see any reason at all that the Alabama job after the 2006 season is better than the Tennessee job is now.

Bama got Saban because of luck and the fact that they were willing to spend a lot of money.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I get losses happen, but his winning percentage in OU's big games over the past 5 years or so is awful. This year OU beat an overrated Texas team and what I think is an incredibly overrated team in KSU. He lost to TT, let RGIII win the Heisman and then never even showed up for Bedlam.

Last year he had an inexplicable loss to aTm, the year before that was a 5 loss season and before that the only he had nothing to stop Texas or Florida. I just don't see it, I don't expect him to win any major games anymore.

5. Stonewall83

Stonewall83 New Member

I'm not pro anybody..I'm pro UT!! I think Dooley has no where to go but up next year...But if this figure is correct then I'll drive up to Knoxville and pack his shit!! That kind of increased revenue is exactly what it would take to try fielding a super staff experiment part II.....Minus dickhead of course, but I don't see that many HC out there who would be thrilled to come to our program right now. Thrilled about making 5-6 a year of course..

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

He has 3 Big 12 championships the last 5 years.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You could make the exact same points about Carroll when he lost to Oregon State, or Meyer when he lost to Ole Miss. The difference is perception, not quality.

I've said it before, but I will repeat it: Stoops puts a team on the field every year that is in contention for conference championships, and he is in the mix for the national title on a regular basis. You cannot ask for any more in a football coach. I think the possibility of landing him in Knoxville are approximately the same as us hiring Jesus, Santa, or Darth Vader, but the guy is one of the top coaches in all of football.

8. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

no, the loss to Ole Miss could be looked at as a fluke loss. He still beat Alabama, LSU, FSU and OU that year. Yeah, UF lost to Bama the next year, but Meyer has a good winning % in marquee games over his past five seasons.

Carroll's the same boat. his last year, yeah he lost to Oregon and Stanford and had some bad losses, but USC also beat tOSU. He lost to Oregon St in '08, but beat tOSU again that year, as well as everyone else, to include dominating Penn St in the Rose Bowl. He too has a much more favorable marquee game record his last 5 collegiate seasons than Stoops does IMO. I'm not saying Stoops isn't a great coach, I just think he's quickly losing his luster.

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Oklahoma has been so consistently good over the last decade that any loss is basically seen as a major disappointment.

I do think something needs to happen with that defense, but I'd definitely say he's a top 5 coach.

10. cotton

Meyer loses, it's a fluke. Stoops loses, it's a failure. Meyer beats a top ten, it is validation. Stoops beats a top ten, they were overrated. You are making a distinction without a difference.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I wonder if it can be cashed out in terms of performance in games that are supposed to be close. In the last several years, Stoops is 4-8 in games in which they underdogs of 7 or fewer or favorites of 6 or fewer. Meyer was 7-6 at Florida in those games. But that's not quite enough to justify the disparity in opinion we have here

12. WM

WM Active Member

I'm still holding out for my wet dream of Stoops.

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

no, Stoops flat out isn't beating top ten teams. You aren't listenting.

14. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Ole Miss and Oregon St aren't marquee losses, they are just bad losses that, yes, happen. It's happened to Stoops too. But Stoops just isn't winning the big games. The years he's beat Texas, Texas was down.

15. Tar Volon

Last five years:

#5 Florida State (away, 2011)
    #10 Texas (neutral, 2011)
    #9 Oklahoma State (away, 2010)
    #2 Texas Tech (home, 2008)
    #1 Missouri (neutral, 2007)

Okay, so if those first two didn't send me laughing, the last one did. Maybe we're talking end of the season? Then we're down to:

#8 Kansas State (away, 2011)
    #4 Missouri (neutral, 2007)
    #10 Texas (neutral, 2007)

16. cotton

All overrated. None count. Not listening.

17. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

you and I both know that FSU and Texas had no business being in the top 10. You can make whatever lame ass excuse you want to make your argument work, but Texas and FSU were both awful this year.. same with Mizzou being that highly ranked a few years ago. We'll see how good KSU is when they play Arky in 5 days. but continue to live your pipe dreams that those are "big" wins.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Even so, all that means is that this wasn't just a great year for them. They've beaten plenty of other good teams.

Missouri was a win against OU away from playing for the national title. I think both their losses that year were against OU.

19. Tar Volon

They were, and they were. Missouri also had a 41-10 win over #22 Texas Tech, a 36-28 win over #2 Kansas (finished #7), and a 38-7 win over #25 Arkansas (who, although they got housed in Knoxville, did beat the national champions that year).

The problem, bill, is that you're a moving target. It's big games, but he's beaten Texas too many times. So it's top ten teams, but he's beaten too many of them. So it's top ten teams who weren't overrated in some way (take Meyer's 2008 win against #1 Alabama away). What's the metric for that? Obviously their final ranking won't do, since you take issue with that. Do we just have to take your word for it?

20. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

i'm not a moving target, you just can't read and make crap up. I said big games. Just because teams stumble into high rankings without deserving it doesn't make it a big game. Just because it's Texas doesn't make it a big game. Texas has been down some, a lot lately. Learn to read.