You know, I tried to defend "Brick by Brick"

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by gorockytop101, Aug 1, 2013.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The 1992 Noah's Flood game against Florida. You haven't seen pouring rain until you've seen that game. I had never seen it rain that hard and haven't seen it since. Water was waist deep around the turf drains. I was in the north endzone. The drains couldn't keep up. It was a river flowing down the stands. I had just bought a Coke and sat it between my feet. The water rushing down the stands washed every bit of my drink out leaving only water. You didn't even have time to put on a poncho not that it would have helped.

The 1996 Citrus Bowl weather sucked too. Rained on me from Chattanooga all the way down, the entire time I was in Orlando, and all the way back.

The only thing missing was the cold like in the Vandy game you mentioned.

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2009/7/8/935921/the-50-best-games-of-the-fulmer

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

94' at Vandy was about the same. 65-0 Like it should be to.

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Think that may have been my first game to attend. It was freezing. I remember I got some hot chocolate and scorched my throat . ..

4. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

I'm not even that old but HFS some of y'all are making me feel that way...and y'all are posters I remember from TOOS from way back.

My first game in Neyland (parents are MSU alums) was...'91(?) I think, versus Miss State of course. Dad knew I was a UT fan and felt it was cruel to subject me to the torturous fate of being a State fan, so while he was taking me to my first game in Knoxville, it served both of our purposes. Shuler was still playing, I think...might've been Kelly, but I was at least 12.

Didn't make it to The Hill as a student until '02 but saw quite possibly the most suspenseful game of my life as a student in '02: the 6OT game vs. Arkansas.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

My first memory was a good one, too, the '86 Sugar Bowl. I wasn't even a UT fan, yet, as I had just moved from Wisconsin to Nashville and was in a transition phase as a Vandy fan. By '89 I had converted to the good side and entered the halls of UT in '97 to catch the glory years.

Quick question, does anyone who was at the '98 Florida game remember how damn hot it was and the unreal B.O. by the throng of people on the field?

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Shuler was a freshman and Kelly was a senior. A one hit wonder QB by the name of Sleepy Robinson stole the show for the most part, that day.

7. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

That Florida game is my first UT memory.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I remember the '79 Blue Bonnet Bowl.....*sigh*.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

My earliest memory i can point to is a fumble against Georgia in 88.

Also remember watching the 90 Notre Dame game with my now passed on Granddad and wondering why Andy Kelly didn't throw that pass just a little higher.

My first game at Neyland was in 93 against Louisville. My brother and I worked hard on our folks to bring us up from Humboldt. They still aren't the kind of folks who like crowds and such, especially my dad.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

First game in person was 87 against Cal. 31-12 victory.

11. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Growing up in Lexington, a lot of my in person games have come at Commonwealth.

I remember parts of 85 but distinctly remember 87.

The shoot out with Couch & Company is a favorite.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

96 Arkansas was the first game I went to.

Terry Fair broke the game open with a huge punt return and the Vols rolled.

It was close for about a quarter and a half.

My first vivid memory was of watching a game (I listened to a lot of them before I saw them on TV) was the tie with Alabama in 1993. I was mad and confused that there wasn't a "winner"

13. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

...Sleepy Robinson. Wow. There's a name I haven't heard in a while, but heard a lot of when he was playing.

Tyler Russell might be the best QB State has had during my lifetime but before Wayne Madkin (sic?) it was Sleepy Robinson...and Madkin was just a little above average, in the grand scheme of things in the SEC.

Year I was born. :)

14. MWR

MWR Contributor

Kelly threw high almost all the time, except that one pass.............

And my first game was 1965, 4-H JV game. What I remember most is the cannon they fired after a score.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

My first game was, I believe, the '93 South Carolina game at Neyland with my mom and dad. We were under the awning in one of the end zones and it was rowdy. I was hooked from then on. Now if I could only get season tickets under the awning.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Don Smith was vastly superior to Sleepy Robinson.

17. CaneVol

CaneVol Member

First game I distinctly remember is the '91 ND game on TV. That game sealed my fandom forever.

First game I went to was '96 UCLA, had an amazing time.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

We must be the same age, because I am right with you there. I also remember the excitement of the Miracle of South Bend, but don't remember anything regarding watching the game at the time. My first game was a cold and boring one against Vandy in 1995. Didn't matter, beat Vandy.

I was really excited to go to the 1999 Notre Dame game in Knoxville. Terrible seats, but fun. That was the extent of my in-person games until college.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The '98 Arkansas game and the '01 UF game are the other two vivid memories I have from way back. I was going wild at the end of both

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

My first game was 1989 Ole Miss. I was 7. Chuck Webb ran for 296. I sat in the 12th row of section T. Still the best seats I've ever had for a game. I remember going nuts about Webb after the game and my dad telling me the importance of Eric Still, Antone Davis, Charles McRae, and the rest of the line in that effort. Said it was the best offensive line he'd ever seen in Orange.