Your Favorite Television Shows

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Oct 20, 2015.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I really liked Invasion, but it got cancelled after one season.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I've never watched those either.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Agree with all of this. Todd is a con man that gets everyone else to do his actual work. Never seen his strike a lick, as dad always said. You nailed it. He's all about barking orders and disappears whenever actual work needs to be done. How Dave and the rest of "his guys" don't see this is maddening. And yes, at some point, Dave must be blamed as well. I liked the direction Dave was going with Freddie Dodge last season. Too bad Dave fell for another of Todd's cons to get his pack mule back on board. I hate Todd Hoffman. He represents some the worst qualities I think someone can have.

4. JayVols

Let's go do some mining..... Seriously.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

It isn't aging well, so expect an uphill battle at first. If I were you, I would start with a particular set of TNG episodes, then watch DS9. Let me know if you want particulars sometime.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Every time we go to Gatlinburg, I buy my daughters a couple of bags of mining dirt. We love it.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Which TNG seasons are best. I remember watching it with my brothers back in the 90's and liking it, but then I tried to watch season 1 on Netflix a few months back and wasn't feeling it.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

3-7. 1+2 have a few good episodes, but the overall feel of them is a bit odd. They really get rolling in season 3. I would still watch 1 + 2, as some characters are introduced that are awesome an keep coming up.

If you want to watch the original Trek, the version on Netflix is the updated CGI graphics one, and they are really good. They also have a lot of scenes that were removed when the series was put into syndication to make room for more commercials.

9. JayVols

I have a creek to mine. There was very minute amounts of gold found in my area.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Having a creek at my granny's house when I was a kid was a gold mine. Had lots of fun in that creek.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I tell the wife this, weekly. As soon as the last kid is gone to college, I'm going to mine.

She continues to roll her eyes. In my marriage, that's an accepted nod of positive affirmation, in my book.

12. JayVols

I retire in just over 8 years. Need company?

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

My favorite tv show

[​IMG]

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my buddy's father has a claim in Arizona somewhere. he paid almost nothing for it (maybe literally nothing i'll have to ask). he does it for relaxation purposes. i think he told me he clears like $70 a day in gold. i don't think he's ever found much of anything. i know he's never gotten a nugget.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That 70's show was a classic. Total oversight on my part. I watched that entire series twice through

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I may have to give this one to Game of Thrones.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

If my wife isn't throwing, or breaking something over my head, or threatening to shove it up my ass, I take it as a yes.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Season 1 isn't very good, with only a few memorable episodes. because the show isn't serial (made back in the syndication-is-king days), you can skip it until you are more into the show and just want fresh material.

Season 2 was mostly produced during the Writer's strike. Because of this, many of the episodes are modified remakes of TOS episodes.

Best Episodes-

Season 1: Rough season. None of them are great, but before finishing the series you should watch
    1: Encounter at Farpoint
    23: Skin of Evil
    25: Conspiracy

Season 2: Another rough season.
    9: The Measure of a Man
    11: Contagion
    16: Q Who

Season 3: The show finds it's stride. Remember, I'm just giving you the highlights. The episodes are generally better, but there are less continuity-demanding ones.
    10: The Defector
    15: Yesterday's Enterprise (Kind of need to see "Skin of Evil" first to fully appreciate it)
    26: Best of Both Worlds Part 1 (Kind of need to watch "Q Who?" First)

Season 4: Oh baby.
    1: Best of Both Worlds Part 2
    11: Data's Day
    14: Clues
    26: Redemption Part 1 (this continues an arc on Klingons that has been sprinkled into the previous seasons, but viewing them isn't mandatory)

Season 5:
    1: Redemption Part 2
    2: Darmok-- this episode has won numerous awards and actually has a live theatrical version.
    *3: Ensign Row-- if you are thinking at this point you'll check out DS9, which many consider to be a superior series, you may consider watching this episode as a primer.
    14: Conundrum
    25: The Inner Light-- Award winning

Season 6:

5: Schisms-- very creepy episode.
    10: Chain of Command Part 1-- Awesome ep.
    11: Chain of Command Part 2
    15: Tapestry

Season 7:

12: The Pegasus
    15: Lower Decks
    *24: Preemptive Strike (if considering watching DS9)
    25/26: All Good Things Parts 1 and 2 (Need to watch Season1 Ep 1: Encounter at Farpoint, Season 1 Ep 23: Skin of Evil, And Season 2 Ep 16: Q Who at a minimum. Probably won't enjoy unless you've watched all the episodes I've listed in this post.)

I won't lie, there are some real stinker episodes for this show, but most of them are in the first two seasons and if you follow this viewing guide, you'll either like the show enough to go back and watch the rest or you'll at least have gotten the best out of it.

I recommend watching these recommendations in order, but I've bolded the most iconic of iconic TNG episodes.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  19. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

How did Who Watches the Watchers not make the list?

20. JayVols

I just think it would be fun. I'm not overly interested in consuming large amounts of moonshine, but I think it would be a blast to make.