Your greatest athletic achievement

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by hallowed_hill, Mar 13, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Cool story. Was this before Rankin came to Alcoa?

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Riverdale. They were a machine my HS days. We beat them by soph. year.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

My teams won two Kentucky class A state championships and one overall (all classes) in highschool.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Synchronized swimming?

5. cotton

Basketball, but I'm sure we could have dominated in the pool.

6. WM

WM Active Member

Hit a half court shot to win a game in JV once..
    One Shining Moment..

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Won states in tennis in WV my senior year (AA-A).*

I won frat boxing at UT three years in a row, and that got me way way way more ass than did the tennis, so let's go with frat boxing.

Actually...if I'm being entirely honest, I'm probably most proud of winning the county pull-up championship in 6th grade (for all 5th and 6th graders). That may sound ridiculous, but I was on freaking cloud nine at the time. I still have the blue ribbon.

*This sounds really cool conversationally, but there just weren't any elite players in AA-A. Nobody from [uck fay]ing Charleston Catholic or Huntington High was being recruited to play D-1 tennis. There were a handful of kids in AAA that ended up playing D-1 tennis.** But let the record reflect that I wouldn't have won in AAA.
    **And one guy, Jeff Morrison, who was a few years older than me ended up being a serviceable pro. TENNIS; Morrison Crashes the Party With an Upset at Wimbledon - New York Times

8. WM

WM Active Member

Frat boxing? Hit him so hard his collar laid down brah.

BearCat204 likes this.
  9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Gold

10. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Frat boxing is a blast.

What frat were you in?

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

There was a guy from hungtington high on my intramural football team one year. Was a walk-on qb on the practice squad. We won our division and two in the playoffs--deepest we ever made it. Intramural football at UT may be the most fun I've ever had playing sports.

12. cotton

Do you still play competitively?

A good friend of mine is very active in amateur tennis in Tennessee and nationally. He has won the state a few times in his age bracket and thought he had a shot at 40+ nationals before tearing his ACL a couple of years ago.

13. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

- All-time leading passer in my high school's history when I left

- I still say I had 50 but coach says it was 45 in a freshman BB game against Powell

- Scored 30 in a Region game SR year.

- Hit game winning shot against Lee Humphrey to send us to to district championship game which we won and I was named district mvp and I ended up being all-region and all-kil

- Biggest regret is going to play FB in college and not basketball at small school but (a long story) inspired me to coach which I actually enjoy more than playing.

14. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

That's legit.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Nice, JZ. Where'd you play?

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We've got some legit athletes here. I suddenly am put back into my place in the hierarchy of the world.......

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ha.

I've got a really good idea of who you are.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Same here. My greatest athletic achievements are batting 1.000 for the season in slow pitch softball and spearing a kid into the bench in a rec league bball game when I was in middle school.

My biggest regret from my teenage years was not playing football and basketball in high school.

19. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Farragut

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Impressive. I have always felt there is a pretty significant difference between AAA ball and AA ball, which I played.