The Final Bow

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Low Country Vol, Jan 14, 2016.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If time travel was real, I would go back in time and see the original lineup.

Daddy Gee, PilotFlyingJ and warhammer like this.
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Friend in text group has said to name 10 bands better.

Sad day for southern rock.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The wife and I have the time machine concert conversation quite often. I've got a list. Original Skynyrd lineup is on it.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I try to keep it limited to 3 only because it makes the conversation interesting and a little more difficult.

Bob Marley
    Pink Floyd
    Skynyrd

IF we go to 5, I’d have to chose between Nirvana, The Beatles and Elvis, but that would be going further than where I drew the line.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    warhammer likes this.
  5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm going to see Jimi Hendrix at Monterey if I get one of those things.

Poppa T and The Dooz like this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Chick Webb v Benny Goodman at the Savoy.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hendrix at Woodstock
    Queen at Glastonbury
    And actually Chris Cornell small gig acoustic. Had a chance and didn’t go. Thought I’d get another.

The Dooz likes this.
  8. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

I saw them on quite a few occasions at a little hole in the wall bar in Chattanooga called Nanny Bumpos (sp)

9. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Always wanted to see John Bonham live, preferably early 70s, so Zeppelin is at the top of my list. Close second would be John Coltrane with Elvin Jones on drums. Not sure about the 3rd, maybe Hank Sr if I could bring my dad. That's all he played in the car when I was young

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I also still want to see the Rage Against the Machine - Beastie Boys concert from 2000 for which I had tickets, but was cancelled as Mike D busted up his shoulder riding a bike in NYC.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Unconfirmed last words: “Finally I can stop playing Free Bird.”

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Our list is longer, but things get forgotten and slide off over time. If I had to limit it to three, right now...

'76 Stones tour with Skynyrd opening - this isn't Skynyrd's original lineup, but all of the pre-crash lineups are great.

'69 Hendrix tour with Chicago opening - I'm not the biggest Hendrix fan

Third would be a hard choice, maybe Zeppelin. I'd be all in on the Beatles if they performed live that much later on before the breakup, maybe their '66 tour, but having looked at set lists from that tour, maybe not. I'd also be hard pressed not to see JD Crow and the New South with the lineup that played on the self titled album otherwise known as Rounder 0044. There's so much.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Gets to heaven...

"HEY MAN, NOW YOU CAN PLAY US FREEBIRD!!!"

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I am fortunate. I saw early OG Led Zeppelin (1970) in Nashville and Lynard Skynard (1974) in Austin.

Comment: I think the dates are accurate to the best of my old man recollection.

Volgrad98 and justingroves like this.
  15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Off the top of my head, I will say, we have seen early Led Zeppelin, Lynard Skynard, Joe Cocker, Free w/Jimmy Page, Alvin Lee and Ten Years After, King Crimson, Robin Trower, ELP, Santana (twice), James Gang (w/out Joe Walsh), Bruce Springsteen and Eric Clapton.

Oddly enuff, I enjoyed them all. Early (70's) Carlos Santana was the best. Next for me was Led Zeppelin (with Jon Bonham) and Bruce Springsteen (w/Clarence). Lynard Skynard were OK. I was disappointed with Clapton (I think that was his cocaine years) and his opening act, Santana, stole the show. The guy getting the bj in front of us did not care.

I would have liked to have seen Stevie Ray Vaughn, Pink Floyd and the Who.
    Any old school blues guitarist (Jimi Hendrix included) in a small venue would be acceptable.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I saw Clapton a couple of years ago, I’m sure it wasn’t the same as back in the day but I thought it was pretty awesome to be seeing Eric Clapton live. Saw the Stones about a month later and felt the same. And then McCartney about a year later and felt the same. Just glad I got to see them

17. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yep. Seeing Clapton was a "glad we went". He was good, just seemed out of it.

Old Stones would make my list too. In fact, it is awesome that you got to see each of them (no matter when).

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Skynard played a prom at McCallie in Chattanooga before they hit it big.

Poppa T likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Stones in their Prime
    Elvis
    STP

20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I'd love to have seen Ratt on the strip in the early 80s.