2016 New Hampshire Primaries

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Feb 8, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're still a day out, but I am interested in hearing takes for the Republican side. I feel like Rubio is an establishment bedtime story, and Christie dismantled him a bit at the last debate. Seems like Trump is going to carry it with ease.

On the dem side, I expect sanders will win. However, he needs to win by a lot for it to have any meaning. It needs to be a stomping. 57 % would give him a lead in total delegates thus far, but I feel like he needs a 60 % clear majority if he hopes to move the needle nationally.

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Second place would be a good result for Rubio.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

See, I feel like the bar is being lowered for him to keep him relevant. We can't be all "ahahaha, Trump didn't win Iowa. He's fading" and also be all "gee, Rubio finished 3rd in Iowa and 2nd in New Hampshire. That's our guy!"

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Rubio just needs to stick to what he does best which is reading off a teleprompter

5. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Republican Obama

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Bernie could approach 60%, say 57-58%, and still cause a groundswell.

Trump carries the day. Fox News and co. decries it by claiming the highest mainstream finisher is the "big winner" a la Iowa and Rubio.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Fox News reached a new low in its Iowa coverage for me.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

That's pretty freaking low.

9. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I don't think it's that, it's just the fact that this might be it for Christie, Jeb!, and Kasich. If true, the establishment vote should coalesce around Rubio.

10. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Personally I think their election coverage has always been terrible.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Trump is going to win, only question is by how much.

Main issue for GOP is who from the establishment group gets eliminated. If Rubio beats Jeb, Kaisich and Christie handedly, then there is going to be mounting pressure on them to get out. If not, then this carries on into SC and Super Tuesday.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's never been good, but running around to coronate Rubio takes the cake.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

CNN tries to be fair, but they're kind of dopey in their attempts to extrapolate the conclusions before there is enough data for it to make sure to do so. They'll repeat "now this is very, very early and things could completely change..." about 10 times, but still won't shut up about it.

They did have the sense to comment on how the narratives in each party seem to be different depending on the candidate, but didn't get as deep into that as I'd like.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Christie and Kasich are presidential material, imo. I'm not sure why they aren't doing better.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I can't handle the guy on fox news they always has on that both looks like a corpse and also looks like he's had every plastic surgery known to man. have no idea what his name is, but he's dull as a rock.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I enjoyed their 2012 coverage. Karl Rove was losing his mind over Ohio.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

The dessicated corpse they trot out as their democratic commentator is pretty sad. It's like he's a POW.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not as charming, imo. Though he does have an interesting way of making his voice quiver.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the guy i'm talking about is some sort of republican party higher up. I like the former pbs guy. another name I can't remember.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not nearly as charming, nor does he have the same presence. he's a poor mans Obama, but that might be enough.