2016 New Hampshire Primaries

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Feb 8, 2016.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Trump/cruz/kaisich currently in a 3 way tie with 9 votes a piece.

Developing......

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Kasich is middle of the pack for me. He annoys me too much for me to pay too much attention to what he is saying. I think I'd prefer him to Bush, but they seem cut from the same cloth. He'll never get my vote in the primary or general.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

You think Kasich has the lowest IQ on the stage?! Shit, he's usually in the upper half.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

hard to imagine anyone dumber than rubio

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you see it like Trump's wall, so be it. It isn't remotely the same.

The issue is that the parties say one thing and push certain buttons, then do another. Ya, some of us want follow-through. Crazy!

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

That poor guy reminds me of a dumber W. Bush.

8. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

The problem Republicans have is that they don't appear to have any candidates or national figures that can grow their coalition. And they need to grow their coalition much more so than Democrats.

The proportion of the white vote continues to decline each election. Consider that if the proportion of the white vote was the same in 2012 as it was in 2008 in Ohio, Florida, Colorado, and Virginia then Romney would be President.
    Given the likely proportion of the white vote in 2016 the Republicans would need to win a record percentage of whites in order to win (assuming the other demographics vote in line with how they have voted the previous 4 or 5 elections). That means a higher percentage of the white vote than in 1984. That is basically impossible.

Maybe Rubio can grow the coalition. But I have my doubts.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's a great observation. There is potential with hispanics for Republicans, and that is what makes Trump so damaging. They tend to be a socially traditional, hard-working, lower middle class group. They ought to split favorably to Republicans, if not for the ridiculous rhetoric from a few.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Apparently the fact that Sanders pays his campaign workers 15 dollars an hour and his interns get paid (10.10) as well is becoming a push point for some. Hillary doesn't pay her workers as much and doesn't pay her interns at all. Keep in mind that she has called for ending unpaid internships by making them illegal, which means she's a hypocrite (some more).

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's funny. I'm against making unpaid internships illegal though

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Illegal is strong, but I do think they're bullshit that favors the well-off.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's a useful way to learn trades without going in debt. I know a lot young sustainable farmers use this as a way to get started too.

I'd say it favors the government more than anyone. If you're getting a wildlife job, you're either really connected or basically working a year or two for free to get your foot in the door.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cruz is apparently doing the ole "send a check made out to myself" trick that televangelists use, mass-mailing them to people. Not even just supporters. Wow. Bold move.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

And the problem is not everyone can afford to work a year or two for free.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think it's bullshit how the government does it, but I have no issue with individuals doing it as a way to acquire skills. Most of the government internships that were unpaid was just for grunt work that no one else wanted to do.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Ds are spending enormous tax dollars courting the Hispanic vote. Enormous. Almost all of the policies around immigration are now about votes long term.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Simplifying Hispanics as illegals and immigration voters is not the path forward in wooing them. Everybody's vote has to be earned every time. Dems pandering to immigration-voting Hispanics now doesn't lock up the vote from them in the future. There are paths to future relevance beyond the white vote for Republicans. There just seems to be some schizophrenia on how to do it. Minorities face a lot of barriers and institutional discrimination. Conservative thinking tends to side with those barriers and institutions (police). Finding creative ways to remain true to conservative ideals and yet give those groups the reform they deserve is surely possible.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there is absolutely zero question that Hispanics started voted democrat once the democrats took the stance of not enforcing the laws of illegal immigration.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'll take non sequiturs for 500, Alex.