Should All Votes Count, Equally?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

How well and vigorously has that law been enforced, since its inception?

And using your logic, we should just do away with ID laws for purchasing firearms, and simply focus on catching those who illegally possess them, sometime after having already obtained it.

It doesn't make sense in either case.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I truly am blown away that this is even an argument

3. Tenacious D

Every legal American should have a federally issued ID card.

4. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

And most of those rules get broken for a payoff that's several orders of magnitude greater than the rewarding feeling from casting one vote. It seems like your answer to my question is, "I have no proof for this, but those 17 states probably have unreported voter fraud happening all over the place because I said so."

5. NashVol11

So am I.

6. Tenacious D

Read up on Indiana's DMV woes prior to Mitch Daniels becoming governor, and the transformation it went after he was elected.

Simply, hire a governor who believes that situation intolerable, and is worth enough of a shit to fix it.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

"I made up a statistic about the rules and their payoffs" is your response to my post.

8. Tenacious D

Post script: Maybe shave a few hours from the thousands you've wasted on passing recreational marijuana laws, and put that attention to the DMV.

9. NashVol11

It just doesn't make sense that in order to be able to vote, you have to stop by the DMV first. It's a random obstacle thrown in for no reason whatsoever besides politics.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

And proving you have a right to vote.

11. Tenacious D

I'll bet if Colorado passed a law that gave free rolling papers with every vote cast, you'd have about a 95%+ turnout.

Wait, maybe we're onto something...

12. NashVol11

There are plenty of statistics on how rare voter fraud is. I'm just pointing out that that makes sense, because the incentives aren't there. Contrary to what you apparently believe, most criminals don't walk around committing crimes because they just feel like breaking the law

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Turnout isn't the problem. It took me 3 hours to vote in the primary, the line was down the block. And the Republicans are still waiting for a meaningful vote. HEYO!

But seriously, all over the country folks have been leaving without voting because of long lines due to "processing" ID's and things.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if you have absolutely zero chance of getting caught I hardly see that as a deterrent.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and virtually ever legal American citizen over 18 has one. it's a non issue.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

who is even out there finding out how many people are voting under false names? there are plenty of nutjobs with too much time on their hands that would do this.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, they don't. The number is certainly higher than the number of fraudulent votes.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah "republicans" are the ones making the dmv so cost ineffective they have to reduce the hours. makes sense to me. do you really think there is some huge benefit out there to limit id's to the poor that there is a legit conspiracy by republicans to do so? what's the advantage? if anything the vast majority of republicans want everyone with an ID.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

great and if my wife's 107 year old grandmother feels the need to vote she can go get a friggin id.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Really? How many, you think, would take a whole day going around and voting multiple places? And how many places could they vote within a day? And how many different names are they using, or are they using the same one and getting their vote discarded? I don't think it is as easy as you think. Evidence for it not being as easy as you think:

http://www.wcti12.com/news/Woman-tr...purpose-pleads-guilty-to-voter-fraud/18305974