Should All Votes Count, Equally?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 20, 2016.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's required here. You can still fill out a ballot without one, but I'm not sure what happens afterward or where those ballots end up. I'm not overly concerned about ID laws because rigged elections and improper voting is going to happen with or without them. I think the solution would have to involve an ID of some sort, but greater reform beyond passing an ID law is needed.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

right before he let you go.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sounds like a smart guy, but statistically, he most likely isn't qualified to clean toilets.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If 21 million Americans can't figure out how to get a photo ID in 2 years, they can just eat shit.

And why exactly do we have to wait for a problem to become so evident that it absolutely must be addressed? If there's an easy solution, you implement it before the catastrophe happens.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Neat. I guess I think you like murdering babies.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Do you have to register to vote, still?
    Can you register without any sort of ID?
    If so, why need registration in the first place?
    The "blue thumb" idea, what is to keep the millions of non-registered immigrants and those here on visas from voting in this situation?
    What keeps someone from getting an ID and yet still able to get out and vote?

I have no issues with it staying the way it is or requiring an ID. But the idea that non-US citizens might be able to vote in an election is troublesome.

8. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I'm telling you, scanned hand print is the answer.

I worked at a place where that was how you signed on and off

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Why exactly will requiring a government issued ID restrict voting? It's not difficult to obtain.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I have an idea, get off your ass and get proof that you have the constitutional right to vote.

30 minutes max, hardly any trouble.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

It has kept people under 21 from drinking beer, though. You're accidentally undermining the case for voter ID. All it does is hurt people who should vote, doesn't stop people who want to vote illegally. Assuming they exist in any meaningful quantity.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It hasn't been effective with alcohol because the rules aren't well enforced by vendors with an incentive not to enforce the law. Also, they aren't capable of utilizing all the identification features on the ID, which I assume a voting facility would utilize.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He actually made the comment after a guy tried to steal a push mower off his trailer in broad daylight.

Guy got it to his trunk and was trying to shut the lid by the time he figured out it wasn't gonna work my employer yanked it out and had it back on the trailer.

14. Beechervol

Lets hear that tired argument again.

15. Beechervol

16. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I like the idea, but there are still plenty of folks opposed to biometric security. It's really the best option, though.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The Man will have me on record! I will be in the System! They will make films with my handprint on it and get me convicted of treason and whatty not!

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

You know it! Out government is an enormous dysfunctional mess of stupidity, incapable of properly managing even the simplest of tasks. Until it comes to the complex conspiratorial big brother stuff. Then, you better look out!

19. Beechervol

As long as its just a scan of the middle digit. Im cool.

20. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a good reason why we should make it more difficult to vote? I mean, besides "It's not THAT much more difficult, so it's fine."