Should All Votes Count, Equally?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 20, 2016.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I have a good reason - to prove you're allowed to vote. And it's not ****ing difficult. At all.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

this is pretty much where I am

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I won't take credit for my response.

4. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

To prove that you're not risking 5 years in prison to cast one ballot that won't make a difference? Sounds extremely necessary.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

To make sure I have this right.

Your saying why make it more difficult to vote, followed by one ballot that doesn't make a difference.

6. NashVol11

Why should people without IDs not be able to vote? It seems like the general attitude is, "You're too lazy, and therefore you don't deserve to have a voice."

7. NashVol11

Two different issues.

It should be easy to vote, because a democracy is founded on certain principles, whether or not that one vote would decide an election.

The latter part refers to the incentive structure behind all this alleged voter fraud. On an individual level, to someone contemplating such a crime, the reward is not even in the same universe as the risk.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or you could actually make one against it.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This makes no sense. Prove you're given the right to vote, then vote.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

[youtube]EuOT1bRYdK8[/youtube]

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

[youtube]clmJ4q6wTKw[/youtube]

12. NashVol11

It makes plenty of sense. What horrible things are happening in the states that don't require such crucial proof?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The wait at the DMV places in Denver tend to be about 4 to 8 hours and they're only open on weekdays. **** the working poor, I guess.

14. NashVol11

That's what it's about in NC. Pass a bunch of laws designed to limit voter turnout among Democrats, and justify it by stoking fears of fraud that doesn't happen.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

[youtube]CjAAOD8lMtc[/youtube]

Wonder why he said that. No evidence of illegal aliens or voter fraud going on up there. None. So why would he say that?

16. NashVol11

"It's easy to wait 4 hours. Just hire a nanny."

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

What is the private sector solution to getting an ID? Because Republicans keep shrinking the hours and locations of the places to get them. Usually in the poorer parts of town. Coincidence, I'm sure.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Anyone remember this guy?

[youtube]X-RNHtjdmnk[/youtube]

19. NashVol11

To answer your question, many places require a copy of a birth certificate to get an ID. Birth certificates weren't standard until the 1930s. Older than that, and don't have one? Too bad. Misspelling somewhere on your birth certificate? Too bad. Want a copy from the state? Too bad, you need an ID for that. Decide to vote at the last minute, and the DMV line is hours long? Too bad.

Why? What single positive thing does that accomplish?

It's an even dumber version of the proposed refugee ban. You're hurting a group of what tends to be among the most vulnerable people, for purely political reasons, under the guise of solving a "problem" that is essentially nonexistent but allows you to exploit paranoia for personal gain.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It makes zero ****ing sense. Rules and laws with stiff penalties get broken daily. Sometimes people are caught, sometimes they aren't. Do you just want to open voting up to anyone?