Post-Mortem

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Hopefully, a lesson was learned here but I suspect not.... If anything, the Dems will double down at the midterms and 2020.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yup. But I certainly wouldn't say the republicans learned anything either. Trump basically dragged them fighting and screaming to this victory.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It comes back to the messenger. Republicans were reeling in 2012 and had "lessons" to learn, which they basically ignored this time. They were saved by a contingent of very motivated people in the right wing and apathy from Democrats from a milquetoast candidate in Clinton (Whom, at the same time, had, oddly, been caricatured as nearly the devil incarnate by the other side.). If the Democrats get someone that has a popular support the way an Obama did, or even Sanders to an extent, they will sweep away the Republicans in 2020. As shown Tuesday, even in a bad year for Democrats, the presidential election year has a very favorable set up for them to be successful. Motivation is strong enough now, as well, to make a dent in 2018, though that will be more of an uphill battle, unless Trump starts to lose the rabid support among groups he got this time due to his actual administrative actions.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Dems have more chance to lose seats in midterms, than Republicians. Especially in the Senate. Dems have to an outrageous number of seats in the Senate.

There isn't much ground they can make up in midterms.

We have a full red government for 4 years.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'd argue that while the Republicans most likely haven't learned the lesson from this election its staring them in the face. We just elected a Republican president that doesn't give two shits about social issues. This is a great day and one the establishment will be working hard to reverse.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yep, unless Trump is an unequivocal disaster and we have a 2006 redux.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Sure. Read the rest of the thread.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

To be fair I doubt most marching, throwing Molotov cocktails, and shutting down streets & highways even voted. Many would consider themselves Anarchist rather than Progressives.

They look for excuses to protest (i.e., Occupy Wallstreet, BLM, Trump election, etc.)

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Clinton's Crime Bill did as well.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Looking at totals, some on the left apparently didn't. Romney got more votes than trump, and still trump won.

11. fl0at_

Droski, what is legal pot in Cali going to do, tax wise?

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

hard to say. they were already taxing medical marijuana. I doubt it will move the needle significantly, but I am curious to see what happens. apparently in the law they allow pot establishments. should be interesting. we already weren't spending that much money on marijuana enforcement, so i'm not sure that makes a big difference.

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

This is an excellent point and is exactly where we are. I hate the fact 'liberal' and 'conservative' are thrown around as quasi-slurs, and media tends to focus way too much on the behavior of ideological fringes. I think we should have visibility to such behavior and issues, but also include proper context in coverage. Projection and generalization only serve to grow the rift. We've made this and somehow need to figure out how to fix it.

14. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

If California taxes Doritos and skittles they'll be out of debt in no time flat!!

15. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I actually mostly agree with this, but I don't think it's fair to substitute "Trump" for "anyone ideologically opposed to your views." Kasich wouldn't be seen as a monster.

16. fl0at_

Only way is to stop this whole "well, our side did a little bit of X, but their side is going way overboard and doing Y" mentality. Just furthers the rift.

With the exception of law breaking, both sides are acting as Americans.

17. NashVol11

100%

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Romney was absolutely painted as a monster. racist and sexist remember?

19. NashVol11

I wouldn't say anyone I knew thought of him as a monster. I don't remember John McCain being treated as a monster either.

There are plenty of people out there who can't handle opposing viewpoints, but I think we're overstating how many there are.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

remember the "notebooks of women" scandal? it was very real.