Charlottesville

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Aug 13, 2017.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Listen to how Berkeley officials describe them in the first minute of the video

[video=youtube;8ax5Px7jGHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ax5Px7jGHY[/video]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I see the klan put in a request to burn a cross on Stone Mountain this October.

Request, thankfully (and wisely) DENIED.... Huzzah for common sense!

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Burning American flag is protected speech. Why isn't a cross?

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I agree that groups like BAMN skirt the line of responsible dissent and there are instances of people crossing a line into violations of other people's rights and criminal actions, but it isn't a fundamental policy of groups like this to advocate for the inferiority and removal of groups based upon the criteria as the alt-right.

5. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Do you think the number of racists in this country is only a few thousand?

6. NashVol11

SIAP, but Baltimore's city council voted to remove all four of its Confederate monuments and they did it, overnight.

If these white nationalist groups are going to protest every time this happens, they're about to start racking up the travel miles

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The groups in Charlottesville, what were they there to protest? Advocating genocide? Advocating segregation of schools? Were they there for a lynching? Protesting same sex marriage?

No; they were protesting the removal of a statue. Wooo that is some scary, scary stuff right there. Hitler would be proud.

8. Unimane

I also want to note that, in addition to the failure here at Charlottesville, Trump has failed to say one word about the recent bombing of a mosque in Minnesota which was fairly prominent in the news a few weeks ago. I guess Fox and Friends couldn't fit it into their schedule for Trump to see it.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I chuckled.

10. Unimane

They're ****ing neo-Nazis and KKK members with their fellow travelers. You serious on this point? Did you watch their interviews? Did you see the guy drive his car into the crowd? Did you see the comments they made on the death of the woman? C'mon.

11. Savage Orange

If it were just about burning a cross it would be one thing but it's not and you know it. You'd rather be a contrarian asshole than see the actual point I'm trying to make.

12. Savage Orange

On top of that, while Stone Mountain is state owned, it is privately managed and that management can permit or decline any activity as it deems appropriate. So **** you.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just put outkast on there.

14. Savage Orange

Big Boi's a good dude...

15. Unimane

Trump comments again this morning, lamenting the desire to remove Confederate statues throughout the country, proving no one digs a deeper hole for themselves than the Orange One.

All this for statues and memorials of those who fought against the USA and for slavery. I'll say this, too. If the argument being made that these statues and memorials need to stay for purposes of preserving history, then, speaking as a historian, they should dispense with them. Statues and memorial are near or at the bottom of historical preservation and dissemination of information. A lot of them have very limited, biased or just plain wrong historical information because they are designed to honor rather than inform.

Plus, if people are really worried about the loss of history, I can assure you that we have enough available information on the Civil War to last another thousand years. Seriously, like half the people I encountered in grad school were focusing on the topic and that was in the North. We're good on the topic.

16. NashVol11

They apparently thought it was scary, since they brought torches and body armor

17. NashVol11

That's where I am too, that history is in absolutely no danger of being "lost." If anyone is "whitewashing" history, it's the people celebrating the Confederacy.

That history belongs in a museum, not on a pedestal.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

He keeps shoveling. He can't fathom that he is wrong.

Also; his there were "Very Fine People" comment was outrageous. There were no very fine people within the alt-right demonstrators.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Daily Stormer is now homeless. Kicked off its host.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Watch the Vice video again. I see T shirts and polo shirts. And I don't know about you but tiki torches have never scared me. Summer Bar-b-ques must suck for you.