8th Gardening thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by farmersdaughter, Jun 26, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

btw i also got probably 40 artichokes from the two $4 plants. great tasting ones too.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Calcium and nitrates are technically natural. Plus you don't have to smell shit for the same effect.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm well aware. welcome to my life.

5. farmersdaughter

farmersdaughter Active Member

crushed oyster shell in the ground and around the plant would give you calcium as well, and save you from a blessing out lol

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I feel for you.

7. farmersdaughter

awesome, Im going to try this

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

outside of costing me a little extra money and some eye rolling on my part, it's not that big of a deal, just annoying at times. i finally got her to start sleep training the babies last night so anything else is gravy at this point in the droski household from my point of view.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

might want to google how they grow in your area since you do have to plant them in the fall. something like 70% of the countries artichokes are grown like 300 miles from me and i currently live somewhat inland and my climate is very close to that region, so i have the perfect climate.

10. farmersdaughter

will do! thanks a bundle, I love them,but , no one else here will eat them so I dont buy them often

11. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I can't find any can seeds.

12. farmersdaughter

another thing, do any of yall follow the "signs"? I dont really, but my grandfather that just passed was adamant about them. I wish I had written them down now just because.

13. farmersdaughter

I would have been more than happy to send you some, If you still have trouble next year I dont care a bit to send you seed. I plan on begging Jay for a few of those Cherokee Purple mater seeds lol

14. farmersdaughter

we usually turn where we have the melons and sweet potatoes and plant winter rye. We also seed a big patch of turnip, collard, kale, and rape greens. Too bad there apparently isnt a large buck within a 10 mile radius, just does and young bucks.........or maybe thats all we are lucky enough to kill

15. Oldvol75

I don't have a very good "green thumb", anything I plant usually dies rather quickly.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's why you're the bigfoot guru, and not known as the Green Giant

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  17. Oldvol75

Never thought of it that way, you're right.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

My life long mantra.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

My mom is big on the signs, I'll ask her to tell me about them. She and my dad always had a huge garden that was very productive. They had raised bed gardens, and so did I. The only way to go for root crops. Anyone try them?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

My wife wants to do that. What are the benefits?