Dooley Blaming the Fans (merged)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by SaintBruce, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Sounds as retarded as this. Recruiting hit the shitter on Pearl because of the NCAA investigation.

2. Smowkee

Smowkee New Member

The excuses just keep coming, like the energizer bunny.

3. SaintBruce

SaintBruce New Member

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

In short.

I don't care what he says or doesn't say going forward.

Win or Walk.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I would like to suggest some reading material to good ole Derek....

Attached Files:

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If he's saying what he said in the Pat Forde article, I got no problem.

If the OP is accurately representing things and he's going full Urban. . . you can get away with that if you're winning like Urban. So why don't we try that for a while

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Eh, I don't view this as ridiculous as what Forbes said. Reads to me like he's just giving a honest view of life works in the 21st century, especially when you throw in what he said about message boards being the modern day barber shops. Not going to lie, if I were in his shoes, it'd probably bug the hell out of me too.

A stupid statement nonetheless, but not nearly as idiotic as Forbes.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'd say that your assessment is correct, but it comes across poorly with Dooley's track record of laying blame else where

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  11. CardinalVol

Agree 100%.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

"If you truly love Tennessee like most people say, you would not be negative publicly."

Sorry but that's unacceptable. As IP and JG have stated Dooley has pretended to be a VFL (merely to fortify his job security) since he was hired in 2010. My love for the Vols predates my oldest memories and I'm an alumnus. If I decide Dooley is bad for the program I have every right to voice my disapproval.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Our head football coach is a complete [uck fay]ing joke. This is embarrassing.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Do you have a pair of orange slacks? Is "britches" in your daily vernacular? Do you get paid 2 [uck fay]ing million dollars to coach?

Apparently all that matters more than growing up a Vol fan, deciding to go to Tennessee, getting a degree from that prestigious university and spending thousands of dollars year to come back and watch a game. He's a [uck fay]ing clown

15. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

So, are we working on the assumption that he must be the only HC in America that feels that way? He shouldn't have come right out and said it, but I do doubt that he's the only head coach or athletic director in the country that would feel that way. Mack Brown just got a handsome, Fulmeresque contract extension, based in part to refute media rumor and chatroom chatter that he would be resigning/forced out at season's end. Les Miles probably had similar opinions when the LSU fanbase would have ran him out of town on a rail, given their way, then again when he was having to deny rumors of having accepted the Michigan job prior to the BCS title game. We, as fans, have the luxury (and right) to come on message boards and post anonymously, our thoughts/feelings/opinions on our chosen program without repercussion. I would like to think that Dooley would have enough other, tangible things to worry about in regards to his football program, things more within his control, that the ramblings of internet heroes would not even register a blip on the radar.

But in this day and age, our voices are heard, regardless of perceived impact.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I get what you are saying, NC, but I think the problem is more with the media than message boards. Journalists have a responsibility not to report things as fact if they don't have credible info. I don't know where Herbstreit got his info when he reported that Miles was off to Michigan, but that is when things went from silly Internet rumors to serious concern. Same thing with Randy Shannon. No one was really ready to buy that little rumor, especially here, until media outlets started calling it.

17. CardinalVol

My guess is that if you polled all 120 FBS coaches, all 120 would say that they would prefer all message boards and Twitter be shut down because it makes their job harder and can become a headache in recruiting. For better or worse, they've changed journalism. We as fans (in general, not the posters here per se) celebrate the ones who get the story first more times than not and laugh at the ones who report last, even if the ones who report last typically are more accurate. And when you offer a kid a scholarship because of a Twitter campaign by a former player, I can't say I necessarily blame him for feeling this way.

Did he go to far with what he said? Yes. Do I fault him for feeling like he does? Not at all.

As for Miles to Michigan, I truly think if that doesn't get leaked and Herbie reports it that it happens. I think Miles was ready to go but it pissed him off that Michigan let it get out.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Message boards have gave the fans more power in the process of expressing their views and opinions of the state of their schools programs.

The same reason goverments and politicians hate social media.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

You can't blame Dooley for not liking the criticism (even though its deserved), but his aspirations to be Teflon Man and deflect all the blame to other people, just makes him look like an idiot.

20. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

His "hot seat" is the result of the culture of college football these days. And that, in a large part, is the result of boosters and fans wanting to win right away. So in a way, yes, fans are to blame for this.