Ebola Outbreak

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DownNDirty, Jul 29, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I honestly didn't realize you could recover.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

10 to 40 % do, but they aren't entirely sure why. They just don't enter into the final phase of the illness and slowly recover. Hydration and treating secondary infections obviously helps the odds.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Time to start packing up the basement with goods to hole up until this thing burns out if it reaches state side.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Believe it or not, Malaria kills more people every two days than Ebola has since being discovered in 1976

5. NorrisAlan

Malaria is a giant killer. But until global warming moves the tropics to east Tennessee, I am not too concerned about it. Ebola, that is 12 Monkeys stuff waiting to happen.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Thing about something like this is "poof!", it's suddenly an outbreak. I mean, malaria is awful, don't get me wrong, but there is somewhat of an expectation for it and we know to try our best to prevent it.

7. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Apparently a doctor from Morristown was in Africa helping and is now back in town under quarantine. If anyone needs me I'll be in the mountains.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Dammit.

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I keep saying Ebola like they say Ricola in that commercial. It's stuck in my head, dammit.

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

This really is scary stuff. From my limited understanding of the virus a pandemic is unlikely, especially in more developed nations such as the US. Still, a virus with a 70%+ mortality rate should concern everyone. Now, if there is mutation to an airborne strain (very unlikely) all bets are off.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Worth mentioning that WHO's budget is down over a billion dollars due to funding cuts from European nations and US through the recession. This has been part of the issue with not being able to contain the outbreak these last several months.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

13. NorrisAlan

Let's all hope that the two patients come through OK. They are obviously people that do some damn good (and selfless) work. Would be a shame to see them die.

it is a shame to see anyone die such a horrible death, of course, but this hits close to home, so-to-speak.

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Bye.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Whose budget?

#Sorry

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's been real.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm sealing off your room.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Whoever had "syphillis" in the NYY death pool has to be pissed.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I had choking.

20. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Better start wearing pants outside in the morning. Don't wanna get that thing infected