In Defense of Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Oct 6, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Watch the OL block on stretch plays, they do a decent job.

It's not exactly the same thing, but it's pretty close.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And it can work.

Cut had a 1000 WR in Lucas Taylor doing it

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It can if you have a rhyme or reason to when you call it.

4. Coastypop

Coastypop New Member

Butch is a good recruiter, not sure how good yet, but so was Fulmer. Fulmer won a lot of games based solely on talent, so if using same thought process I would say he can win the SEC if he can recruit enough talent but don't think he can do it on coaching ability

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The league is way different now than in 1995. In 95 you had two good coaches in the whole league. Now it is NFL Lite. No one can out talent anyone in the league anymore, not to the point where you just say "go win".

You better be able to coach and scheme.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is a great point.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Solid again. Also why the game passed Fulmer by.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Whats funny is it was an unneeded risk that flip the momentum and gave UF their only chance to win the game.

There is absolutely no reason why they can't exploit the middle of the field passing the ball to the slot and TE. The sad thing about Sat, they could have won being very "Majors like" with the lead in the second half.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I should amend that: three good coaches, as Gene Stallings was still at Bama. But he was about to get run out on a rail, sending Bama into their decade in the darkness.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I can't be certain. But here are some possibilities as to why:

1. They weren't getting whipped on every single play. Not even half of them. So, on some plays, they could hold their own.

2. If Florida was in Cover 2 the whole game (they were, as JayVols said), and you attack that over the middle...wouldn't leaving a TE in take away one of the very weapons - maybe, the best one - that you have to do that? So, Worley gets more time...but has no one to throw to.

3. Do you block / chip them with your RB? Well, that's ok, but then you're iterally surrendering your biggest playmaker (Hurd) to blocking. Oh, and he's not just your best playmaker, but he's also the QB's safety valve. Same ending as before....Worley gets more time, but who does he have to throw it to? If he feels heat, where's his "clean" safety valve? Because as soon as Hurd engages a DL, he's going to be held / ridden until the play is over.

4. In either scenario, helping the OL would have gained Worley some more time...but he'd have nowhere to throw it, so he'd stand there until he got blasted....and that's exactly what you saw happen.

You have to hope that your line can hold long enough to attack the middle - which is why you heard Pig's name all day long, but essentially, he's the only one they're worried about, if a TE / RB stays in to block, and if they go out, Worley won't have time to get it to them.

We can hate it all day long, but the reality is that Muschamp knew how to put us between a rock and a hard place, he did it, and it worked.

11. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I agree pretty much with all the points against Jones in this thread. That being said, he couldn't outcoach Muschamp. That's an indictment on this staff and Jones as a HC. I do believe Jancek and the defensive staff have done a good job getting the young guys ready every week. The only TD we gave up against FL was after Worley got blown up again and fumbled on our 30. Regardless, this loss lies at the feet of Jones. Period.

All that being sad, my fan card is on moratorium. I refuse to get emotionally or financially invested in this program any further until this staff (or possibly new staff) shows me that winning matters. Not cliches, not moral victories, not processes, not telling me that I "can't see the progress" because I'm just a dumba** fan. Win or go home. One win last season against SC with a seemingly bored OBC and a miracle catch by North doesn't impress me. Until they win, I'm not interested in any more that Jones or anyone else has to say.

12. Tenacious D

Please tell me the name of this magical offensive system which enables these offensive fireworks when half of your line are true freshmen, all but one OL is playing in his original position, a true frosh at RB, TE and WR....and with a tough but mediocre and noodle-armed QB at the helm.

Please tell me the name of this system, and I will pass it along to Butch.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not too keen on blaming everything on Worley, either. He certainly isn't some elite QB that you would lean on heavily to win the conference, but he is capable of producing in the right situations. We just insist on putting him in the wrong ones. For example, what is his most obvious limitation in the Butch Jones offense? Lack of scrambling ability. So, we insist on running the read option. A quick review of the season shows us that's a three yard gainer if it's executed really well. More likely, however, it's less than 2 or even a loss. So we get in second and long. Next up is another minimal gainer in a WR screen. Another quick review of the season tells us these aren't that effective and we're probably not getting much. This is especially true against really physical corners that are playing our guys tight (Note: Exactly like UF's DBs) Now we're at third and long. So, the run isn't even an option the defense needs to consider. Pin your ears back and go wild on our newbie tackles. WRs are jammed at the line, needing more time to get open, which we don't have because true frosh Coleman Thomas has zero help holding back an All-Conference DE, so Worley holds the ball too long waiting for someone to get open and gets drilled. Oh, and because no one is in the middle of the field he's forced to look back and forth to either sideline, meaning he can't see one side of the DL, which is likely running free toward him. I'm not sure we could make it harder on him if we tried. In fact, it's almost like they had a meeting to brainstorm how they could get him killed.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Watch film of the 2007 Tennessee offense.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wolf stays in to block. Helm or Pig in the slot over the middle. North and Malone out wide running routes nearer to the sideline. Hurd either staying in to block or releasing for the outlet pass.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

All of this.

Instead of playing to the few strengths you have, let's accentuate the weaknesses

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Exactly. I ripped Cutcliffe a lot, but he did about as well as you could with that OL.

18. Tenacious D

Compare this year's defense to last year's. It's night and day better.

Why? Because of a huge influx of talented players. That's why.

We lost this game because of a young, inexperienced and out-of-their-element O-Line. Jones is recruiting OL as fast and best as he can, but OL's are not like defenders, in that it's much easier for them to come in and immediately play.

It. Takes. Time.

I wish it didn't take 12 hours to fly to China.

I wish it didn't take 25 minutes to bake a cake.

But. It. Does.

To argue that it's Jones' fault that Dooley went TWO FULL CLASSES without a single OL of merit, is crazy.

To say that he should have some magical dust to prevent is from continuing to suffer with these effects, or to simply will it to be untrue, is stupid.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Our OL in the next two or three years won't be as talented as the one Jones and company squandered last season. Things will assuredly get better with time. In the meantime, Florida will tire of being irrelevant and hire someone that has them back as an annual top 5 team within 2 years. We'll be praying South Carolina bungles Spurrier's heir and let's us battle Missouri and Kentucky for third in the division.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ole Miss started two true freshmen on their OL last season, won 8 games