Iraq Battles Islamists in Saddam’s Hometown

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Jun 12, 2014.

1. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Jeb by God Bush!

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Leave tyrannical dipshits in charge as long they don't threaten the US.

3. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

there's a lot of truth to that.

4. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I have multiple problems with how we're doing business these days. Here are some highlights:

1. Stop using the military for something it's not intended for. It's primary role and purpose is defense. I understand being offensive and taking the fight away from our soil but the military should not be used for establishing governments nor should it be expected to.

2. Half-assing will never get it done. If you're going to use the military, turn them loose and let them do what they do. Don't handcuff them, set them up for failure, and expect success. There are very few nations in this world that could withstand a US assault and if given the proper guidelines, most of these conflicts would be over quickly instead of being drawn out and costing a fortune.

3. Revamp the UN. The world is so intertwined today that I do believe action against another sovereign nation should require approval by a global panel (obviously does not apply to direct assault/invasion). This will never work with the way the UN is currently operating/setup due to personnel interests. I don't know how to resolve this, but it needs to be done.

4. Stop picking and choosing who we are going to step in and help with regards to being oppressed or under dictator/tyrannical rule. If we're going to help some, we have to help all. (N. Korea immediately comes to mind)

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

just to be clear, there are no nations in the history of this world and no coalition of currently existing nations that could withstand a total war style US assault. If we're serious about it, the other folks should probably give in.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Period.

7. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

We've a poor record there too. They're either assassinated, forced to flee, deposed and/or killed by coup d'etat, or imprisoned on drug trafficking charges

8. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Remove the "gray area"

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The problem is we have given a false impression by getting involved in so many police actions or murky situations without a true enemy state. Or one could argue this is why our enemies no longer fight us as true state entities- they know they would have no chance whatsoever. So they hide among innocents.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's truly a shame how both parties use our armed forces today.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

SSDD

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just so I understand-- ISIS can slaughter zoroastrians and mandeans by the hundreds, but it takes Christians for it to get the headline at CNN. Thousands can be killed and we'll talk about the Academy awards. Christians? OMG PERSECUTION! I'm not ranting at you Rocky or anyone here, just saying the way all news is packaged for ratings makes for some truly gross patterns.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I don't watch those channels for a reason. Biased reporting and pandering

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Without a doubt. Like I said, SSDD.

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Where's Curtis LeMay when you really need him?....

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Egypt is wanting to form an Arab League against ISIS, by the way. For those that don't know (and I didn't), Egypt is the cultural leader of the Arab world in that most of Arabic television and film originates there, and it is one of the few Arabic dialects that everyone understands easily. There are no white knights or heroes in politics, and certainly not in the Middle East. But all the same it would be nice to see that part of the world begin to police itself some. Egypt's recent actions protecting Coptic Christians against ISIS active in Africa hopefully bodes well for how they would conduct such a league in terms of religious minorities. Egypt also has been better about not sabre-rattling at Israel as much the last few decades.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  17. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31686582

18. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

solid post.

19. OrangeEmpire

20. OrangeEmpire