LWSVOL Is Calling Steele to Tennessee In the Next 24 Hours...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by LawVol13, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I actually agree with this. But man would I rather have Shannon.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You think Steele is on that level?

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It's dooley's team. It's hart's athletic department. Ultimately, the buck stops with him. He didn't and probably wouldn't have hired Dooley. He doesn't owe Dooley trust. If he thinks dooley's about to further [uck fay] up the cash cow of the athletic department by hiring a joke as defensive coordinator, he not only should but is under an obligation to step in and stop it.

4. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

After Wilcox/Sirmon leaving, how would a hire of Steele giving up 70 tonight make recruits excited to come to UT? Shannon had only one defensive team not ranked in the top 10 while being a DC.

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Do you know nothing of Steele's record and reputation as a recruiter? Obviously not.

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Look at Clemson's recruiting compared to what's justified by their on-field results

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

He's certainly in the elite tier.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Fair enough, but Orgeron is the best at what he does.

9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

that's why his two options are fire dooley now and start over or see what dooley does on his own and go from there. He's obviously made the decision to stick with dooley. Therefore he has to let Dooley make his own decisions. That's where it begins and stops with Hart. He doesn't have the obligation to override his football coach. that's a recipe for being able to hire at best a second rate NAIA coach to succeed dooley.

10. tennesseevolman

While I do agree that a HC should be able to make his own decisions, my opinions are based on Dooleys inability to make the correct decisions since his coaching carreer started. IMO, he is a pretty good recruiter and he can talk the pants off the president, but he is not SEC caliber as a coach. Without proper supervision, I think he can do more harm to our program than good. Is it okay that I said "our " program, meaning UT's football program?

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

What made recruits excited to go to Florida after Nebraska scored about 100 on them in the national title game? What made recruits excited about going to Oklahoma after USC hung the previous Orange Bowl record on them? Good recruiters. It's what they do.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yes, he does. Hire the best possible guy. Anyone can see that that's not Steele. Hiring him might further hurt our recruiting class, which ultimately will hurt the next coach's ability to win. It's not as simple as just canning dooley right now, so part of hart's decision making is putting the program in the best possible situation to succeed. Hiring a shit defensive coordinator is not doing that. He may very well realize Dooley isn't the man. Just because he wont immediately fire him doesn't mean he should stand by and watch stupid decisions be made.

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

then fire Dooley. That's where the role of the AD starts and ends.

14. tennesseevolman

I know of his reputation prior to the ass whipping he took tonight and trying to recoup a group of young kids that were just shunned by two guys that took off on them. It is not that hard to comprehend. We are not talking about adults, but kids that trusted Wilcox and Sirmon and just watched Steele get his ass kicked.

15. tennesseevolman

First time we agree on something. Problem with that is, he should have been fired after the Kentucky game. But then UT has the buy out that Hammy left us with!

16. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

you're going to have a buyout with any coach, oh my goodness your blame game is hilarious. Fire the man, hire someone to replace him. It's that simple. If Hart can't get a replacement for [ddiapos], then maybe he doesn't need to be sitting in the seat he's in.

17. tennesseevolman

There was a solid HC with a proven record to right the ship! It wasn't like Stoops didn't have a national title before his beat down.

18. tennesseevolman

Hey, I am right there with you. Hire a proven winner and bite the bullet on Hammys contract to Dooley! Hire a coach that does not N e e d to be micromanaged by the AD!

19. tennesseevolman

But maybe you are a big time booster who can afford the buyout. I am just assuming though, since you judged me earlier! You seem to have all the answers.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

The buyout's not an issue. Every coach in the country has a buyout clause. I disagree with bill on the role of the ad to a degree, but he's definitely right about this.