Obama - Normalizing Cuban Relations

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Dec 17, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

This entire issue is silly to me. I'm being very clear that his opening comment was about foreign policy, which is almost always driven by strategic implications. The other crap is all fodder for newspapers and educators.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that's stupid too. I said it wasn't the worst decision. I said it was immaterial, but your argument was even worse because the base of your criticism was silly.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It's tough being you. I didn't ignore Tenny's calling this the worst. I stated that it isn't, but it's immaterial. The basis of the argument against Tenny was far more ridiculous than his assertion.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I guess we will see if the Castros will hoard everything. I think they are pieces of shit that make their people suffer while they take everything of value from whoever they want. They're walking around right now with their chests puffed out and congratulating each other patting themselves on the back.

These are guys that kill people in the streets, put people in shithole jail cells to rot, take people's homes, American's businesses and send spies over to steal millions of dollars from medicare.

I don't like how Mr. Obama comes in and wipes his ass with years of policy to support a piece of shit.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The base of my argument was that this is a useless policy and needs to be discarded. That's a pretty solid base, unless you consider to doing useless things of innate value.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

i didn't gather that from your argument. If that's where you were going, I missed it.

7. Unimane

That policy would have been discarded years ago if it weren't for politicians worried about votes in South Florida. It isn't like we've had presidents for 5 decades who think the embargo is working, just that Obama, one, decided to do something about it and, two, the generation of Cuban ex-pats who care about this is dying off and their kids don't give a shit about it enough to make it matter in the voting booth.

Otherwise, I'm not really interested in a couple of old farts in Havana think they "won" or not, since I think that's a stupid pissing match to play amongst a very small circle that affects too many people and has for too long. In all honesty, they probably "won" back in the 60s when we tried, repeatedly, to take them out, failed and then agreed to let them rule Cuba without us taking them out.

8. Unimane

Yes, I think disengagement from a country is an utterly useless endeavor. It means that you lose any ability to affect change or influence when the time comes in which you need to do so. I'd have embassies in Havana, Tehran (if possible) and Pyongyang.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

We look at things a bit differently, but 53 is consistent in addition to being a good dude.

10. JayVols

I don't think it's coincidence that I was close enough to Havanna on my cruise that we could see the skyline. The captain said it was very odd for it to be that clear making the city visible from international waters.

Jay is forging the way for progress. Told y'all that I'm a people person.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The quality of Cuban cigars are going to really go down with the spike in demand.

12. JayVols

I've bought some on every cruise I've been on, and I think that some Hondurans are very close to Cubans. I really think the allure of those are a forbidden fruit type deal.

Oh, I smoked them before returning to the States. Not worth the risk to me to try to sneak them by customs.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I had one on my honeymoon in the Caribbeans. I didn't get the big deal either. However I'm not a smoker. I might have one or two cigars a year.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am sure Cuban Cigars have the same appeal Coors did back in the '70s to people east of the Mississippi.

[video=youtube;WNbRkMHoHEU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNbRkMHoHEU[/video]

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Talking about free trade. I'm glad that the Chinese isn't buying american corn right now. Getting #100 pounds of cracked just under 7 dollars.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

What was it before?

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

it wasn't uncommon to be paying double that but it was the perfect storm. Drought, ethanol as fuel, and increased demand. China is the largest buyer of domestic corn, and stopped buying from us over GMO concerns. Which they're just using that as an excuse to increase their own production.

They're really implementing our confinement housing for pork and chicken, so they have a big demand for corn. Plus whoever controls grain production controls the world

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

And whoever controls the spice controls the universe.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Anyone that makes a Dune reference is OK in my book.

20. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/21/world/americas/cuban-spy-artificial-insemination/index.html?hpt=hp_t1