Obama - Normalizing Cuban Relations

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Dec 17, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

At some point, I hope to become numb to the imbecilic.

3. Tenacious D

I don't believe so. My hope is that this Administration doesn't convince themselves that they are, although I can't say that it would surprise me.

4. Tenacious D

You seem to struggle with this, so let me say it as plainly as possible:

If you value your word to have any meaning in foreign policy - to friend and foe, alike - you should keep it, until the situation is resolved, new and favorable developments arise, or information comes to light which proves that the initial action was wrong.

None of those is the case, here.

This Administration just said, "screw it." and went it's primary business of apologizing to the world, for doing nothing more than protecting and promoting our interests. Or, another way to say it, is that we caved, and for no damn good reason, strategic or otherwise.

So, the next time that the U.S. says that it is committed somewhere, or to something, forgive anyone who fails to find that credible.

That's ALL that this move has done - it has reduced our credibility, which cannot but similarly reduce our strategic initiative, and not only on this matter, but on others, wherever they may occur.

That's my point. This effort to normalize relations has gained us nothing, it won't help the Cuban people, and it has cost us quite a bit on other foreign fronts, and will continue to do so. And for what? Nothing.

It's no more complicated than that. To cheer this move must arise from a place of either blind allegiance, ignorance or foolishness. But, please, don't let that start giving you any pause now, Un.

I officially fear what the next two years of this Administration may be capable of causing to occur. Fortunately, the new Congress will soon be sworn in, and this charlatan can go back to doing what he does best - standing around, and smiling. And nothing else.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're so old-fashioned and wrong on this, it is mind blowing.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Wait, are you under the impression that the embargo gave us one iota of credibility in the world? This whole defense of yours for an utterly useless policy that had zero effect on the goal in which it was desired to achieve is quite possibly the most ridiculous defense of "foreign policy" that I've heard and you've even decided to couch it in terms that are, essentially, "you aren't smart enough to understand how the world works."

But, to humor this idea, how exactly has this cost us on the foreign front? Were we leading the global effort to ostracize Cuba and have abandoned our allies? No, we were pretty much going solo on this deal. In fact, looking it up, the vote in the United Nations (which votes on this resolution every year) was 188-3 for ending the embargo. So, apparently, the ending of the embargo will hurt us with Israel and Palau, but everyone else seems to have a different view of the normalization.

The idea that this is part of an "apology tour" by Obama is closer to the reason why it's opposed, as that trite conservative buzz phrase serves as a more useful indicator of supporting keeping stupid ideas than the actual reality of its value.

7. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Could you explain the old fashioned part?

I don't understand, thank you.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

lol at the UN representing the views of the world. . .

9. Unimane

Those aren't countries voting for or against the resolution to end the embargo? Interesting. So, you're telling me that the representatives of France or Great Britain at the UN have a different viewpoint on the issue than do the French or British governments in Paris and London?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the two are only tangentially related. the un circle jerk has no basis in reality.

11. Unimane

So, again, all these countries are voting one way in the UN, because it's not of any value, but have a different policy for the embargo in reality?

OK, fine, let's elaborate on that theory. Has any government come out and say "Hey, this is a bad idea! The US needs to hold true to their policy and this is going to negatively affect us, etc., etc", i.e. all the things that Tenny said will happen? Has any country done anything remotely like this, criticizing the new policy towards Cuba?

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

all? no. many? absolutely. just by coincidence I'm sure some are in line with their UN vote.

you expect them to say this publically?

13. OrangeEmpire

Heck, Cuba and the Philippines should be states.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Puerto rico is already enough of a drain thank you.

16. Unimane

You really think that these countries are keeping their true opinions on the embargo under wraps? Why the hell would they bother? You really believe that the embargo was that critical to their foreign policies that they would fear going public in their opposition to normalizations of relations between the U.S. and Cuba, especially since we are, pretty much, the only country that doesn't have this status? That's ridiculous, the idea that they would be pissed or concerned that we would seek to establish the same exact relationship with Cuba that they do.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I honestly cannot believe Tenny is being serious.

18. Unimane

We did some extremely heinous things in the Philippines trying to keep them as a colony of the USA, too.

19. OrangeEmpire

You can say that for the South.

20. OrangeEmpire

I mean, that was our MO.