OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I have said 1,000,000 times that I am against the IRS getting one additional penny in funding unless 50% of it goes to taxpayer services and infrastructure.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I've got a vacation the first full week of June, then it's job hunting time. The only thing up in the air at this point is whether I put up with the shit for another month and a half or had him my two week notice and get some extra time off. My wife is scheduled to be induced on Monday, so I'm leaning towards a few extra weeks at home not being a bad idea.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, but he sucks more.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it is always a bad idea to leave one job before securing the next.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

True, I'll probably stick it out until I find something else, but it will be damn hard to go back to work after having a few days off at home once we leave the hospital next week.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

actually try to never leave without the next one ready to go. Frowned upon by many who hire, whether they are right or wrong, as far as one's decision making process and planning.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, it seems to introduce questions, none of them favorable.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'd let my emotions calm down before making a choice, especially with the wife about to pop one out of the oven.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I feel like you're just writing down what you see while you watch Horrible Bosses.

justingroves likes this.
  10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I would do it exactly his way, even if it tanks everything (especially if it tanks everything), while cashing the paycheck. But that's me.

And I would send weekly updates.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. fl0at_

My group got a data marketing request from upstairs last week, and it was a pretty poorly done request, that had some bad criteria, some loose criteria, and asked just for a list of names.

So, I followed up with questions, trying to get more explanation, and even asked "What would you like in addition to name?" And I got back "it's in the email" to all of my questions.

So we sent them a list of names. Here ya go. Eat your request. So if you hear someone just calling out your name randomly, that might be us marketing to you...

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd definitely do this if his way won't inevitably [uck fay] over other people/customers that I've worked with for years.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Unfortunately, it's all real. Though, if I get to meet someone named Mother[uck fay]er Jones it will have all been worth it.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That sucks. I got an hour and a half chewing last week because our metrics aren't where they are supposed to be. Termination wasn't threatened, but the closest thing to it our organization can do was mentioned (well, not really because my boss doesn't have the cojones to actually say anything that direct, but it was heavily implied over and over and that's telling me exactly in his mind). I was basically told I am lazy along with the people who I assign work. Technically he is their boss, but that's only when it suits him.

Meanwhile, this week we crunch numbers using guidance our command came up with for time on task(s) to complete a manpower study. Based on our required workload, my guys came up with needing to be assigned and completing the work of over three individuals each, and my workload should have taken four. I've been mentally debating what exactly to do with this new information.

Daddy Gee and IP like this.
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Ask for a raise.

16. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. That’s my world. We don’t have enough people but can’t/won’t hire more, why would they if they can just add it to the existing team’s workload.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Can you start your own gig with your knowledge and network you've created?
    Not sure how you would start a similar company to your McDonalds french fry team experience, but may be worth a shot.

18. fl0at_

Can anyone beat this one today? Upstairs (our senior management and executives) asked for a report change. And I told them it was a legacy report, and that we'd have to rebuild it. And they got mad, because they always get mad when I tell them this, but they agreed to take the meeting anyway.

And so I dive this god awful stored procedure written in 2013, and document every line. And then I send it to them ahead of the meeting. The report owner says "No, that's not what the report does. It does this other thing. We've been using it for 8 years to make decisions."

So I say, "oh ok, well, this variable must have meant something else." I could see that it could be true, so I move on.

I re-write the 1,135 line SQL query as 36 lines and produce the data output. Guess who was right?

Our senior staff have been using a report for 8 years that doesn't even mean what they thought it meant. And driving our company based on it. Awesome.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

How could that be? How would it not become apparent in some situation that what it was thought to mean didn't track with what it was?

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

This is why I'm glad I work at an employee-owned company. There's a couple of [uck fay]tards, but they're few and far between.