Paris terror attack kills 12

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

I hope they get repeatedly raped by men with foreskins and are forced to eat ham.

2. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

White House Spokesperson in 2012 regarding the magazine:

CARNEY: Well, we are aware that a French magazine published cartoons featuring a figure resembling the Prophet Muhammad, and obviously, we have questions about the judgment of publishing something like this. We know that these images will be deeply offensive to many and have the potential to be inflammatory....

In other words, we don’t question the right of something like this to be published; we just question the judgment behind the decision to publish it...

To be fair, his capitulation to the terrorist was at the same time he was trying to blame Benghazi on a YouTube video.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  5. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

its getting interesting

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I just cannot fathom the collective mindset of an Administration that takes this stance.

It's really not a "D" or "R" thing, at all.

It's just a complete lack of even a basic understanding of what is going on, or is at stake, here, and our role in it.

And this reminds me of this (thought it was apropo):

[​IMG]

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I agree that the west's media and administrations have basically kowtowed to these people out of fear of looking bigoted. People seem to equate railing against Islam as hating on Arabic people. Which is stupid. If someone rails against Christianity, they are not hating on any particular race or culture, because there are Christians in every part of the world, of every race and culture. Same with Muslims.

However, unlike Christianity (especially pre-Protestentism), there is no central authority in the Islamic world. There is no church to reform. So you will always have these 1000's of sects, some of which will think it is their duty to kill anyone that besmirches Muhammad's name/image. Non-Muslims are going to need a big helping hand from the moderate/progressive Muslims in the world to get rid of this scourge.

But until then, we in the West need to put aside our fear and point out the absurdity of their position and ostracize it at every turn. Allowing them to rule us through fear is not the answer.

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Agreed, Tenny. If we believe things like freedom of expression are an essential component to the ideal of free and democratic society, then we cannot hedge. Sometimes artistic expression makes people uncomfortable and can be, frankly, distasteful to many. That's okay; I'd argue that should be the case. Just because one finds something distasteful does not afford the right to counter that with violence. We either stand by our ideals or capitulate to extremists and turn our back to a fundamental element of free society.

9. Tenacious D

You simply cannot stem all tides with dialogue and a misplaced hope that reason will prevail with all.

There is a time and a place for those, for sure - and you hope that they can win the day.

But at some point, when all lesser means have failed or cannot be reasonably employed, you've got to raise the black flag, and begin slitting throats. And in so doing, you've got to oppose them with the same unflinching desire for their widespread calamity and destruction, just as they hope and try to visit on you.

It matters little whether you declare war, or not, because when war is declared upon you, the end result is the same - you're at war, all the same. It only matters if you realize it, and will act accordingly.

We need to find anyone who is participating, financing, inciting, championing or cheering these extremists - and kill enough of them to stop their terrorist actions, to give them pause to reconsider, or until none remain. And wherever they may live or be found, regardless of who seeks to hide or protect them.

When the first contentious moment of any discussion arrives at the point where the rights of innocent peope to go unharmed is called into question - I don't know what's left to talk about, anymore.

That seems to be the only solution available, besides as you say, continually trying to appease them.

10. Tenacious D

I know, I know.....she's a lunatic, and everyone hates her. Just saying.

[​IMG]

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I imagine someone is going to have to kill them all for it to be stopped.

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Never saw a police man in Germany without a side arm. Then again, maybe the bicycle cops in the city are different.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

What this world needs is a few more rednecks.

14. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

a dr. i work with spent most of the 90's stationed in and around the middle east. he said that a local told him the only way extremist there would ever be stopped would be if someone came in and killed every single person over the age of a seven and just started from scratch.

15. Tenacious D

I'm not sure how accurate that solution is, but it's absolutely possible, if necessary.

I'd say that you'd have no problem in either finding or identifying those extremists who were looking for a fight, if you placed Mecca under a U.S. quarintine.

16. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

i can see it now.

[​IMG]

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A few people in the military I know that have come back from there said the same thing.

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I think the most difficult thing for most Western folks to grasp is just how disconnected and vastly different the culture is over there. Kids are raised with a steady dose of hate and intolerance towards anyone who shares an opposing view. They are essentially brainwashed and don't know better. It's a sad situation and one that has no easy solution.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes. And it is a very hard cycle to break. I would hate to think genocide is the only answer. It will honestly take several things:

1) Cutting off the money with the oil. The Saudi government is just as fanatical and bankrupt to modernity as the terrorists.
    2) Isolating them physically (impossible, however) and starve their attention. Give them no press. basically don't give a damn about what happens in the area.
    3) Quickly and decisively retaliate if intelligence shows any action was tied to people of that ilk, and quickly and decisively be proactive if intelligence shows someone is about to do something.

Even then, none of what I listed will probably work. I really don't know the answers, but the idea of straight up genocide makes me ill. There HAS to be a better way. There has to be. And if there isn't, we are all losers in this war.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Well, I would hope that an idea of straight up genocide makes one ill. Look, there are some serious problems with Islam, and as one who generally dislikes religion of most any sort, I wouldn't be sad for Islam and a few others to hit the dustbin of history. Not one bit. However, there seems to be a lot of burning down the haystack to find a needle when dealing with this problem of Islamic extremism. I'm not sure how wanton violence against a society is much better than terrorist's wanton violence against Western society, though. Sure, sure, "they started it" or their decision to target civilians is, I suppose, better than the idea of vengeance or the acceptance of "collateral damage". How much of that circle of violence is getting fixed with this philosophy?

As it stands, the way I see these Paris gunmen and other terrorist groups are they way that I see most criminals who rape and murder. They are, collectively, a group of sociopaths, weak followers and easily manipulated, uneducated people who, in this case, have the convenience of using Islam to justify their violence and channel their actions. It's akin to what I say about morality, that it doesn't come from your religion, it comes from within and religion is simply a device to justify your ideas. If they didn't have Islam, these criminals would just use something else or be common criminal thugs, like Zarqawi was.

Now, don't get me wrong, I would be perfectly fine with some old-fashioned Wild West style justice for the ISIS, al-Qaeda, Paris gunmen, etc. folks and I hate a lot of the backward ass societies in place within the Middle East. I simply feel that it's a more complicated situation than "Let's just go over there and bomb the shit out of them" situation. For one, who in the hell is "them"? No doubt, though, I am tired of these type of stories, too, and not just in the West, but also in the areas of the world that no one pays attention to or has candlelight services for.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015