Paris terror attack kills 12

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Jan 7, 2015.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I understand. Tthere may be things in physics that, at this point and time in our evolution, we just simply cannot fathom. So I accept the premise that we cannot understand some things.

I think where a lot of the hang up for some people is that they stop asking if they think they cannot know, and some of those people get mad when others ask the question they stop asking. Much like the Catholic church didn't want physicists looking into the Big Bang too much, as they saw it as the purview of God. A Tower of Babel type thing.

Me, I personally like the idea of asking and refuse to accept that we cannot, in time (temporal time, not just Eternal Heavenly time after death) understand these things. My favorite line of the movie Bruce Almighty is when God gives Bruce His powers, and Bruce asks God, "Can I ask you why you are doing this?" and God says "YES! Yes you can!" and leaves it at that.

So I do not like "we cannot understand it" answers when it comes to Theology. It just doesn't set well with me when we can understand so much about the universe already.

2. punkcat

punkcat Member

Thanks for ruining the whole damn show. Why don't you just give us the ending for WrestleMania?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

cal winning the NC.

4. NorrisAlan

2014 Men's Swimming and Diving NCAA Champions according to www.calbears.com!

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Praise Jesus!

6. NorrisAlan

Baby or adult? And you better choose wisely.

7. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

when i was in high school i spent the better part of a couple of years really trying to wrap my head around all the things that i had been told in church as related to the real world we live in. especially, the idea of "eternal life in heaven." i was talking with my dad about it and made a comment to the effect of "well i just can't fathom a place where tomorrow is guaranteed." my dad laughed softly and said, "how could you? you've lived your entire life in a world where tomorrow can never be guaranteed." my response to this statement was, "is it wrong that i have so many doubts about some of these things?" and he said "son, if someone told you things as remarkable as the gospel and you didn't have some doubts, then you'd be a fanatic and a fool."

8. NorrisAlan

I always wonder what leads people to the faith (or lack there of) that they follow. I know a 90% is just where and when you were born. Most people are Hindus in India because most of the people in India are Hindus, so to speak.

I could not reconcile my issues with the monotheisms and left the church as soon as I was not required to go by my parents (and they stopped not long after, perhaps before. I cannot remember.) After many years of just praying to a faceless, formless God (and always for understanding, never for things. I knew that was useless), I found Buddhism. It fit my view of the world almost lockstep. And I am a happier man for having found it. And while I have zero belief it will, hopefully this does not condemn me to an eternity in Hell :p.

9. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

i understand completely, there are a lot of things about buddhism that really resonate with me, it's take on greed and desire especially.

i had a discussion recently with a very well read friend that was voicing his thoughts on hell, and how it's been misconceived. i won't attempt to summarize and bastardize his theory, but i will revisit that conversation so i can later attempt to share it.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Ive met Dustin Ellerman the winner of season 3.
    Good friend of mine knows him well.

Ironically enough he spoke at our church a while back.

11. JasonNorin

JasonNorin New Member

Same here..

12. IP

IP Super Moderator