Paris terror attack kills 12

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Jan 7, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well that's like, you're opinion man. I know me better than you do, so I'll take my word for it over yours. I hope you can bear this.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you think this is some shift in content or tone from me, you aren't reading my posts.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think its never a bad time for both.

I think thats the reason most here are vested. Its about self-reflection and views, not a broad stroke that covers everyone.

Ive probably poked the bear enough.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Fair enough, but that all hinges on what you expect to get out of it. You understand you're not going to change and I assume you understand the other side will not budge either, so understanding points of contention better will do what? Allow you to better understand people of faith, or structure better or more varied future arguments? Whatever the purpose you would be getting something out of the exchanges, but at what cost?

I am a huge supporter of intelligent and civil discussions, often those that get heated. I simply believe some topics do not lend themselves to that type of discourse. Certain religious conversations, such as this thread, qualify. Why? Because it ultimately boils down to faith. If we discuss long enough and deep enough there will be points where faith and logic are in apparent conflict; it will happen and the result is impasse. This is an intelligent group and we know this to be true.

I want to make clear that I'm not advocating some sort of censoring of religious discussions; I just think if we're going into a discussion such as this one maybe the conversation could be framed better and any desired outcomes more clearly defined.

5. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

and there's the problem.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Boo!

More pointing and laughing!

7. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Jesus Loves You!
    Isaiah 40: 22 reveals that God sits “above the circle of the earth.”

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Earth is not a circle!

9. Oldvol75

What does it look like from space? Jesus Loves YOU!

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like a sphere.

Is god infallible or not? Either he or she is infallible and knew it was a sphere yet the Bible was wrong, or he is not infallible, or it is an iron age mythology written by people just like the rest of religions.

11. Oldvol75

You must have missed the part where He sits "above", as in looking down. Jesus Loves You.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

So god occupies some space? This doesn't address the fact that the Earth is not a circle.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If (Posts.count > 1290)
    Then
    {
    Goto Thread.page(3);
    }

14. Oldvol75

Since when is round not circular? Jesus Loves YOU!

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Quit fighting it. He isn't real, remember?

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

"Circle gets the square!"

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I might have some inclination to buy this post were you not guilty of the same thing you are criticizing on a whole host of topics. This board is full of *******s for their beliefs and opinions. I'm not sure who gets to claim the moral high ground.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Depends entirely on how far away you are. Perspective adds depth, so at a far enough perspective, a sphere looks like a circle.

But if that far away, probably pretty detached.

Isn't there some quasi astrophysics belief that from far enough away, time is a circle? Or did I get that from Futurama?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think there are some who think that may be.