POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I’m also going to amend my original post to emphasize that I’m not saying it’s just boomers that are getting brainwashed. I think just from a media literacy standpoint they are more likely to fall prey to it. But an underrated core of batshit crazy people are the bottom rung of college educated folks my age (so maybe we’ll say like currently 25-40 ish) whose prospects got a lot worse in one generation. Honestly I think they’ll be the roided out version of the picture of “economic anxiety” in 20 years.

The people who look pretty middle class but are hanging on for dear life on that house payment with new cars and selling whatever the newest pyramid scheme is and name all their kids Dax and Brandilyn or whatever.

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This is where it is easier to just say "Ok Boomer."

Because y'all ain't going to succeed at convincing.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

No different caricature than that of boomers, and the people I mention are the ones pointing fingers and labeling others as "not getting it".
    --no doubt the system needs help. There are also scholarships, grants and free community college which havent always been available. Students who go to a 60k/yr school to study Econ, Latin or language arts and dont want to pay for it are an issue as well.
    --maybe if more than 50% of Americans paid taxes there would be a better Healthcare solution? And as of right now, an uninsured person can get in a car wreck, go to Vandy level 1 trauma center and get fixed up,n stay for 3 days and pay nothing. I pay a hefty fee each month for insurance and wouldn't get the same benefits so yes, there are issues.
    Much of the issue with Healthcare costs is litigation and insurance. You wouldn't believe what ortho and neuro surgeons have to pay for malpractice insurance and have to give depositions weekly. People love to sue, and it's costing everybody.
    --statues have been there forever. What clicked in the last couple years to bring them down? Either way, it's destruction of property. I could give a flip about confederate statues being up and not going to bother with your " telling on myself in a big way" ignorance, but there's a right way and a wrong way to accomplish things, and I'm also not going to assume every statue torn down is deserved, just because you say it so.

4. fl0at_

I dare you to try this. Drop your insurance, and go to the ER. For any reason. See what happens.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  5. Ssmiff

I spent years standing there in the OR as this did happen, as we wrote off expenses as losses. It's the line of business I'm in, so I don't need to run your test.
    If you want to test, ditch your insurance, have a drink and run into a light pole. See if you are admitted and go to surgery or not. Holla back.

6. Ssmiff

Speaking of ER, hopefully covid has lessened the useless ER visits, which are costly and waste time and money.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't know what you consider young, but as a 29 year old, I'd respond to your characterization by pointing out the following:

The college part is mixed, from what I see. There are a lot of young people (people my age and younger) who make legitimate arguments about the significant increases in college prices while wage increases have remained relatively static. I would agree that the system is definitely broken. I think there's a lot of disagreement about how it became broken and how to fix it.

The problem, in my mind, is that there are also a lot of people who just don't want to make the necessary sacrifices to pay off their student debt. I also don't think that debt forgiveness is a legitimate resolution or addresses the underlying problem.

I can get behind your characterization of young people's thoughts on healthcare, but I don't think they stop at "we can do better." I think they have a very specific idea of what "better" looks like in their minds, and I don't know that I agree with it.

8. fl0at_

Sure. I worked in medical billing through college. Did you work in medical billing?

I will be admitted. I will go to surgery. And I will be billed. If I don't pay my bill, it'll go to collections. It might go to a lawsuit. They might just settle for cash. And then charge off the difference. But it won't be free, unless they just can't find me.

Most people are found. But some aren't. This is true of any industry were services are rendered on credit.

9. Ssmiff

Part of my company does billing so yes I'm quite aware. Thanks for the lesson about what you did a decade ago in college.
    Uninsured broke people can't pay and are in the ER quite a bit, and it's written off by the millions each year. Hospitals and insurance aren't paying attorney to file a lawsuit and waste more money to try and collect what's not there.
    If you own your home, cars, and have a bank account, of course they will come after you. Most of our traumas, this isn't the case.

10. fl0at_

Billing was more like billing over a decade ago, before EMR started handling a lot of billing. I figured you'd recognize that, if you worked in billing.

An uninsured broke person, who has nothing of value is quite a bit different than "an uninsured" person. One is way more rare than another.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

College is a massive boondoggle these days, though, in regards to the sensibility of student debt forgiveness. It is exorbitantly expensive, yet all young people are told it is the key to future success. Thus, students are told to incur a massive amount of debt at a time in their life when they really don't understand how to manage money to a great extent and create an albatross of financial stress on their lives which will affect them for many years. I can't imagine a more idiotic system for a society to standardize as their template for bringing people into the world as professionals or skilled workers. College should be, essentially, free and based upon your ability, criteria for potential success, developing skills, etc.

SetVol13 likes this.
  12. Ssmiff

Have you worked in a level 1 trauma center to see the demographic and info of the patients who are brought in? Bar fights, baseball bats to the head where aluminum is plucked out for hours by residents on call, motorcycle wrecks going 100 mph, gunshot wounds at 3 am, car accidents by drunks at 2 am who carry no car insurance...
    They don't pay for care, because they can't, but are treated anyway, so stop acting like they are turned away, because they arent and you are wrong.

13. fl0at_

I mean, I went to medical school and did a surgery rotation. So.. yes?

I'm not acting like they are turned away. I've said nothing of being turned away.

I said they are billed, and pay for it.

14. fl0at_

People don't carry insurance because of some moral obligation to carry insurance. They do it because they know they are going to get billed, and if they don't have insurance, it will cost them a boat load more money.

Which means people know they are going to get billed, whether they have insurance or not. Which means, logically, people without insurance are billed. Otherwise, nobody would have insurance.

15. Ssmiff

Of course bills are sent but they aren't collected and paying attorneys to file suit when nothing is there to collect isn't happening. Which means, it's written off as a loss

16. fl0at_

Yes, this occurs occasionally. It is no where near the norm, and it is a drop in the bucket.

Most people cannot go uninsured. Of the ones that do, they get billed, and they pay. It is a very, very small minority that pay nothing.

17. Ssmiff

It's not a very small minority when we are talking about level 1 trauma centers and the patients they receive in, especially on weekends. Of all the gunshot wounds the Med in memphis receives in, you really think they are billed and remit payment?

18. fl0at_

All are billed. Most make payment.

Only about 10% of Americans aren't insured. What percentage of those uninsured, who only account for 10% from the get go, do you believe don't pay anything at all?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jesus, take the no insurance challenge if it is really so easy to escape billing and payment.

20. Ssmiff

Hispanics, blacks and poor white people are the demographics who run into the majority of trouble that lands them in the ER and trauma wards, and their insured rate is not 10%.
    You are choosing to ignore credit reports, assets, jobs, listed income and insurance coverage which are all checked as patients are in rooms or surgery.
    Of course if you or IP drop insurance then try to get free care, you will be sent to collections, as you can obviously pay.