POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

They probably make more income unemployed than many of the youth make working

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, we know they don't have medical insurance here

3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Meh, they’re all probably working multiple jobs. That’s why the unemployment rate is so low.

GahLee likes this.
  4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

From the Washington Post

I hope that’s some creative wording on behalf of the Post because that’s pretty shocking to me. Of course I suspect that Mike Flynn’s clearance will be revoked as well since he clearly entered the political fray (its suspended pending resolution of the charges of lying to federal investigators, but not revoked).

I will say this - going after these clearances has a much darker potential purpose. Through going after someone as universally respected within the intelligence community as Brennan, Trump has now accomplished getting almost all former high-level intelligence officials to come out against him (including former Trump advisor James Woolsley who wasn’t asked to sign onto today’s letter of support of Brennan but said he would have had he been asked and issued his own letter instead). He now has drawn a line between himself and leaders of the intelligence community and they have all freely walked over it and pointed their fingers back at him.

As we’ve said for a while, there likely won’t be legal consequences in all of the Russia stuff for Trump. This is about a political defense in case he is impeached - or in the court of political opinion in the 2020 race. The president has now placed the intelligence community in opposition to him as a matter of public record. That will be a handy card to play when discrediting whatever information is ultimately produced against him that was collected by this group. Their intelligence, their analysis, etc - out the window. They are just out to get him now.

He makes me sick.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Unimane, NorrisAlan, The Dooz and 2 others like this.
  5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

To loosely quote my buddy Beecher, "I tried to tell y'all."

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I don't think there's anything wrong with working to make money.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Why is it that we are celebrating lowering unemployment rates now, but when it was happening under the last guy it was met with "yeah but how many people are just underemployed or have dropped out of the work force?"

JayVols likes this.
  8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The problem with what Trump is doing is that it is fed by conspiracy theories. If you are against this, you are for the Deep State that he is trying to destroy.

Trump is, in my opinion, the most dangerous person in my lifetime.

JayVols and tvolsfan like this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont understand why anything positive, among the daily repeat negative, is squashed

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

When the negative so outweighs any positives, that is what you get.

Sure, Pablo Escobar (to use a really far out example) was loved in Medellin, Colombia. And he did a lot of good things for his home town. But the shit he did will always drown that out.

I am glad the economy is doing so well. I have not seen much benefit from it but I don't own my own business and work for a public college. I lnowany here are seeing big benefits from their businessees and I am very happy for them. But I think any President has but a cursory affect on the economy.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    JayVols and tvolsfan like this.
  11. TennTradition

Well...because he just says whatever he wants.

I’m glad he’s continuing to lower unemployment and hasn’t screwed that up. But it’s funny to look at stats like African American unemployment and see that it was drastically reduced ed under Obama - and that the continuing reduction is the same slope it had been under Obama for the previous four or more years.

JayVols likes this.
  12. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Lol

13. GahLee

Same reason you shit on Trump every chance you get, I'm guessing.

14. GahLee

Might want to recheck this.

15. TennTradition

I just looked at it last night. I noticed no change in the slope (to the eye - I didn’t measure it) from Obama’s last several years and Trump’s. That’s not the case early in Obama’s admin where gains were slower coming out of the crash.

JayVols and IP like this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think there is something wrong with working for less than living wage.

JayVols likes this.
  17. GahLee

You didn't notice that the rate started at 9.1 percent and continually climbed until reaching almost 17 percent before finally starting to fall, eventually ending in 8.6 percent at the end of his 8 years.

So in 8 years, the rate doubled before falling back to basically where it was when he started and you want to give him credit for that?

.06 percent drop in 8 years.

18. TennTradition

Well...my comment specifically referred to the trajectory in the last 4 years of his presidency and that Trump has continued that trajectory.

And that is correct.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?g=V0F

If we want to go back to 08, we can. But it seems pretty silly to compare the start of the Great Recession employment figures to today’s.

That is why the comment is specifically that the trend we were on for the last 4+ years under Obama is continuing under Trump.

There was some bigger movement down in early ‘18 but then that reversed. If that comes back then he may set a higher rate of decrease but the trajectory looks the same to me.

19. TennTradition

From FRED, it started at 11.5 and dropped to 7.9 - election to election. But I assume there are different statsout there. This is typically what I use for economics.

JayVols and emainvol like this.
  20. GahLee

Obama was in office for 96 months. 91 of those months the unemployment rate among blacks was higher than when he started. By a significant margin.

The rate under Trump dropped more in one year than it did in 8 years under Obama.

So it isn't same the same trajectory at all.