POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Give it 50 years.

Or give it 5 years and see if the voices to quit teaching students about them don't get louder and louder.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Lakota's beef about the Black Hills is older than Mt Rushmore, dude. That's their homeland, it was agreed it was their's in a treaty with the US, and then the US has not honored that treaty. The outrage is older than you. Something something bias something something brainwashing.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've never been taught by a statue. Not once. Like learning ecology from a mounted buck.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

In print, so you might have missed it.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You think they will stop discussing the foundation of the government and those we created it because they aren't rubber stamped as parading heroes and given honorific memorials? Why are Adolf Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Mao, Genghis Khan, etc. still discussed despite being history's "bad guys"? The real problem isn't that these guys aren't being discussed as human now, it's that they actually are being discussed as humans now. Before they were just mythical figures, almost religious like devotion required to prove your patriotic bonifieds.

6. fl0at_

I don't think, for as long as people are inquisitive, and driven toward self education, that we will be rid of it.

I mean, what from k-12 that is history related, have you not refreshed, since?

7. CardinalVol

You've never been somewhere, saw a statue, and then read the plaque below it and learned something that you might not have ever learned without the statue drawing you there?

I don't really care. I'm just telling you what happens next.

8. CardinalVol

I've loved history since I was 10 years old so I'm probably the wrong person to ask about that. Not sure it applies.

justingroves likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

You can only read the perspective of those who agree with you?

10. CardinalVol

Like I said, give it 5 and 50. Let's see how important the foundation of America is considered in America's history.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

All the time. Where are plaques explaining the warts and all? I don't see them. I'm kind of dumbfounded that the "FF" rah-rah is being forgotten all about, and how that may inform the reactions of some. I really admire the founding fathers. They're also extremely flawed and only by moving America to a place of people truly being equal in rights and standing can we honor and redeem them. Meanwhile, just someone like me saying "people" instead of "men" triggers some people into saying we are changing what this country was founded on. Imagine that.

12. fl0at_

You might be surprised.

13. CardinalVol

I'm fine with discussing warts and all. 100%.

I just don't think many will want to discuss. They will just want to push to irrelevance.

14. Unimane

I would say the founding of the country will still be quite important and remain so. Again, the problem seems to be people's discomfort with actually providing some amount of critique towards the Founding Fathers when they were accorded a sort of protected status in the American dialogue.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

According to Card's link, Vermont became the first sovereign state to abolish slavery in 1777.

According to this link, the rest of the North had abolished slavery by 1804:

https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/slavery#:~:text=Between 1774 and 1804, all,absolutely vital to the South.

According to Card's link, Spain was the first in Western Europe to abolish slavery (in 1811), but according to this link, it didn't really enforce it, and even encouraged it in Cuba and Puerto Rico:

https://arcade.stanford.edu/rofl/spanish-antislavery-and-africa-1808–1898

The above link also goes on to state:

and

Card's link confirms the above date for Cuba.

Sooooo it sounds like Spain didn't fully abolish slavery before the US.

According to Card's link, Great Britain passed its Abolition of Slavery Act in 1833, but not without paying plantation owners 20 million pounds in compensation. Anyone want to calculate how much cash that is today? Also, let's not act like it actually fully ended slavery either:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Slavery-Abolition-Act

Per Card's link, France abolished slavery in 1848. Portugal followed in 1858, with the caveat that all slaves were subject to a 20 year apprenticeship (so, actually free in 1878). The US followed, as of 1/1/1863, with the official 13th Amendment of US Constitution in 1865.

So, again, it looks to me like the North was ahead of the curve, and the country in its entirety fell right into the middle of everyone else. And this doesn't even take into account the plenty of other places where slavery continued to exist and still exists today.

And again, we are talking about the people, who, in the 1770's (well before any of the above abolition-ing), wrote the groundwork for the elimination of slavery into the founding documents of this country. At a time where everyone else was still answering to kings, these guys made the statement that all men are created equal. The country didn't live up to it immediately, and still falters at times today. And of course these men had their own personal faults. But to treat what these men did at that time with the founding of this country as anything but an extraordinary step in the right direction is just incorrect history.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Volst53 and justingroves like this.
  16. CardinalVol

We disagree. I just think people are going to want to skip right over the discussion part to push to make them cease to exist. And it'll get louder and louder.

Will nerds like me and you still know about them? Sure. Will average Joe's? TBD.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Thats what your faux outrage is about, which you learn from google. Be fake. Im not.
    Where has your ire been the last 10 years here? You out there picketing on their behalf all this time unbeknownst to anybody? Or you just pick up this cause this week.
    Those are rhetorical questions and at no time iquestioned the Lakotas beef or whatever bs you are trying to pull now.
    Im talking about jackasses like you picking up this cause for political reasons at this time, who are too oblivious to see it, under the guise of helping the Indian people.
    Seriosly stfu with the bs.

18. Unimane

But, this is the discussion. It's happening right now. So, really, what you want to be happening is not the discussion, but the reflexive acceptance of the past in which these guys were amazing heroes and their faults were given nothing but a passing reference.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

No hes already googled everything about it beforehand so he can go on the trip and show people how smart he is

20. CardinalVol

If this is the discussion, the God help us.