Scathing article on 60 minutes crew arrested in Lebanon

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think that's ridiculous to think that the disparity in prison sentencing and population, economic status, etc., etc. is merely because black people wallow in their own self-pity. You're just doing the passing the buck thing that you accuse others of doing. It absolves one from looking at the potential issues we may have in society and puts all the blame on the people who are affected by the situation negatively.

And, what statistics are you referencing?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No it's not just that. There is also the lack of two parent households and high rate of teen pregnancy.

Black children raised by white parents significantly outperform black children raised by black parents: https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/j/jencks-gap.html

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

That really doesn't apply to this story in any way though, does it?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

If an American parent took their kids from overseas on a vacation to Rhode Island, and then decided to never leave, would you demand those kids be returned to the country they were living in before? I think not. This is a grey area where parental rights are different in these two different countries. The "initial kidnapping" never really occurred, in a legal sense.

5. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Other than the phrase being mentioned about four times in the article (including the header) no, I guess not. No insinuation whatsoever that being white had anything to do with it. Carry on.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Without consent of the other parent? Have you lost your freaking mind? That was kidnapping.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Of course it does. Her idiotic premise was that white privilege was the reason these people did this rather than it being about a mom retrieving her kidnapped kids. I don't give a crap about the press folks. 60 minutes is an atrocious outfit and could care less about the truth.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

When is the angle not stupid? It's The Emperor's New Issue. Only those who are wise and deserving can see it.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then mothers kidnap children in this country every day.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's a stupid ass excuse for lazy ass holes to feel better about themselves. Guess what, my generation is by far the most tolerant in history and the same people, regardless of skin color, living on the government dime will still be living on the government dime when I'm a grandfather.

They have no incentive to better themselves and they won't as long as something as idiotic as "white privilege" is considered a legit thing. Guess what, if it's not skin color, it's "they were born into money" or "they got lucky" or "they're in a better situation". There's always a reason they never succeed and instead of someone calling bullshit on them, people agree because of "feelings".

What's more effective, telling someone to work for something or telling someone it's okay to never amount to shit because of their skin color/financial situation/living situation/work ethic etc?

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Arguably, yes they do

12. Unimane

You are, seemingly, making two faulty assumptions:

1. That's it's necessarily an excuse for someone's failure.
    2. That it, somehow, manifested itself in this generation, or, has manifested itself in the past, but the current generation eradicated it.

The biggest falsity is the first one, as if it were simply an arrangement of excuses for people who fail at life, which is narrative created in order to discredit something that does, in fact, exist. It's not a one size fit all, everybody fails because the evil white man is holding down all the other races of the world to where they can't function. I know that's the idea you are trying to sell here because it allows you to reject it out of hand, but that's not how it works or is playing out.

Again, if you don't realize that this phenomenon exists, it's not necessarily because you are stupid or a bad person, you're probably just not bothering, or caring, to pay attention. Or, perhaps you feel personally accused as the cause of this imbalance, but that's false, as well. The fact that you are annoyed by some whom you feel are using the idea to make excuses for themselves doesn't mean it's not real.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think it's one of the more racist things I've ever heard.

"Who can expect the poor blacks to amount to anything. They're fighting against white privilege".

Say that out loud and see how stupid it sounds.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I just find the whole thing divisive and not useful.

Do I have advantages in life? Yes. My parents were middle class. They are still married to this day. They didn't beat me. They loved me, nurtured me and told me I could do anything I wanted to do when I grew up. They tell me they are proud of me (and this one thing here goes a long way). I had an OK education (South-Young High School was a shithole with zero college preparation courses, but it was what it was).

Yet I still flunked out of college my first year, simply because I was not ready and I thought I could treat it like I did high school. I recovered, found a great wife, settled down and have two of the greatest kids a human could hope to have.

So I had advantages. But those advantages were also huge over a lot of white people.

I just don't understand why "white privilege" is a thing in that it isn't being white, it is being "family privileged". And what if there is a "white privilege?" What is the point of it? Is there something I am supposed to do about it? Should I give half of my money to someone?

In fact, I think the term does more harm than good. Look how mad it makes people when you use it. It could very well backfire and make people recoil, not willing to help out their neighbor who needs a hand, because they feel like they are being told you didn't earn what you have. Call it something else, not use an archaic racial term like "white" or "black", and lets move the **** on.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Because race gets attention.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Only legally. Sans consent or court order, they don't. This was taking kids under false pretenses and then kidnapping them. It isn't OK. She absolutely should have gone after them.

17. Unimane

Where did you get this from my post? You just made it up.

18. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I'm with you!

:hi:

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It's clearly a big deal for those who believe it a government function to help people get ahead. It's stupid for those who believe in govt to be out of the way and let people sink or swim.

20. Unimane

People complain about inequities and unfair treatment they receive all the time, including pretty much everyone on this board, whether it's taxes, voting, their job, etc. So, why would people whom the issue is most relevant just sit down and hush?