The NBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

A. You did. Read your own post about nba not being honest about injuries. Make up your mind before contradicting yourself.
    B. The evident shows 2017 had more injuries. The evidence shows fewer games and more rest. The evidence shows 71 days off. The evidence shows fewer major injuries. The evidence shows more players held out to rest, which counted as missed games due to injuries, which you don't care to address.
    C. And Yes, players prepping their bodies was affected by covid and access to trainers, so I do expect fewer. If you stay focused on the entirety of the article, you will read trainers saying the exact same thing in regards to soft tissue preparation and unpreparedness leading to injury, not "Rim Rest".

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Please point to the post where I said "the NBA is lying." You can't because I didn't. And you'd know that if you actually read the articles and my posts. The NBA is citing statistics. Those statistics aren't lies, but as I mentioned, they are intentionally including unnecessary data to water down the numbers. The entire conversation is focused on the teams who played in the bubble, played in the playoffs last year, and are now playing in the playoffs this year. Those are the teams we are talking about because those are the teams playing more games than normal. The NBA citing statistics about the "average" team isn't a lie, but it's a concerted effort to focus on statistics that don't actually matter for the discussion at hand.

You don't understand what you're reading. Per that article, the evidence shows that the 2017-2018 season was the only season in the last 16 years with more games lost to soft-tissue injuries than this season. And that was with an 82 game schedule in 2017-2018 vs the 72 game schedule this season. If you extrapolate the numbers from this season out across 82 games, you would have the most soft-tissue injuries in the last 16 years.

As for the "fewer games and more rest" nonsense, the average turnaround between the championship series and opening night since like, 1984, is 141 days. The Lakers returned to action 71 days after defeating the Heat. That's literally an offseason cut in half.

The Bubble began on July 30th, 2020. Each team included played 8 games, and then the playoffs began. That was then followed up with a 72 game season, followed by the 2021 playoffs, which will end before July 30th of 2021. All of that will have taken place in a single calendar year. 80 regular season games, and 2 full playoffs (where players play more minutes, go harder, and are more competitive). But please, tell me more about how there have been fewer games and more rest. Maybe this time you'll get past "82 games in a normal season, 72 games this season = less games more rest."

Players held out for rest count as missed games due to injury every season. There's nothing to address. It's not like they just decided to count those games as injuries this season to run up the injury numbers. And the article even states that they were holding out guys with minor injuries to prevent them from turning into major injuries.

I believe the part of the article you're referring to is this one:

It then goes on to say:

You haven't even read the article you cited. You're disagreeing with LeBron's point about REM sleep while citing an article with multiple quotes from trainers about lack of sleep.

3. Ssmiff

I agree with uni. Insufferable.

"You can't comprehend that for negotiation purposes, the NBA doesn't want to admit injuries have been up."
    I quoted nba execs multiple times that said they aren't up. If they aren't admitting, or saying they aren't up, when they are as you insist based off a headline and unproven data, what do you call it? What do you call intentionally misleading, or intentionally saying no increase, when it's supposedly written in stone obvious there is? You can try to semantic dance your way around it, but when I am speaking to someone and they are intentionally misleading or giving known false information, they are lying. All day. Everyday. And that's what you accuse the NBA of doing, all to support a Ledrama tweet.
    And REM sleep? Wtf are you talking about. Lebron mentioned Rim Rest, which I assume is a break from hoops. If he is seriously blaming sprained ankles and hammys on lack of REM sleep, he's on another level of stupid, vocabulary wise and critical thinking wise. If he's getting more than 5 hours a night sleep, and I'd bet my house on it being more like 8-9, it's plenty. He's living in a fantasy land of us poor tired NBA millionaiires. 70 days isn't enough time off and I'm not getting enough sleep when I have to get up at 10 am. You don't like it lebron, please quit. Plenty of players will take your place and not be a whiny [itch bay] about everything

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What the hell do you think labor negotiations are? The NBA is likely going to be pushing for another shortened offseason to get the league back on track with its normal schedule immediately rather than over the course of multiple years. How successful do you think they'd be with that if they came out and openly admitted that there have been more injuries this year and it's likely due to the short offseason and condensed schedule? Stats can be manipulated to say whatever you need them to say. They're not lying, they're just intentionally muddying the waters. That's made readily apparent when they start talking about "the average NBA team." Because everybody knows this isn't about the average NBA teams. It's about the teams who are making the playoffs and have played a bunch of extra games in the last year.

Listen to the other sources in that article, who are independent of the labor negotiations going on between league and players. Those people don't have a dog in the fight and are saying injuries are up. They're a more reliable source.

I've seen a lot of people saying he meant "REM" rest. Like your REM cycle when you sleep. That seems a little bit more likely to me than Rim Rest, as I don't have any idea what Rim Rest even is.

Why does mentioning lack of sleep put him on another level of stupid? Trainers were quoted in the article YOU posted mentioning the same thing - fatigue, lack of sleep, etc.

You have this odd tendency to just claim you know more about random stuff than everyone else, and it's weird. Athletic trainers are saying that players aren't getting enough sleep, and you're just like "if they're getting 5 hours, they're fiiiiiiine!" It's really bizarre.

And I don't get why you're acting like he's just complaining to complain. He's saying it leads to injuries. No one likes injuries. This postseason has basically been ruined by every single team having significant injuries. No one wants that, and I'm not sure why you have such a problem with him pointing it out. He's just speaking up on behalf of the group of people he represents in a labor negotiation. Again, your problem with this is just kinda weird.

5. Ssmiff

If you haven't seen it, Nuggets fan with a bad haircut takes a swing at this guy, who in turn went to town on the guys face, then afterward all he kept saying was "Suns in 4"

Attached Files:

utvol0427 likes this.
  6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Nuggets fan started it all off by dumping a beer on Suns fan’s head. Suns fans ran up to confront the guys and they started swinging and at first he just pushes them away. Then bowl cut to blindside Suns guy, then Suns guy goes to town on bowl cut’s nose.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

15 point 4th quarter lead? No problem choking this one away, says the Bucks. We've done worse.

8. Unimane

And, I work my magic again. Thank you, thank you.

9. Unimane

I have no confidence in winning a game 7 in Brooklyn, but I did like to see the fight and a career game from Midds.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wait, Khris Middleton still plays for the Bucks?

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Imagine being 34-8-7 on 8/11 from 3 and having an all NBA teammate, but being down 7 in the 4th quarter of an elimination game.

Rudy Gobert is overrated.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Still laughing about the Clippers eliminating the Jazz last night. It says a ton about the DPOY, and I think it also says quite a bit about the “value” of Kawhi, whose team just won 2 playoff games in a row without him versus a team they went 2-2 against with him on the court.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So Bucks or Nets?

I’m gonna stick with my Bucks prediction from the beginning of the series, even though I don’t feel great about it.

14. Unimane

I have no faith in the Bucks tonight, simply going on past history and Wisconsin sports mojo.

Also, these two have played nine times this year. Home team has won every game.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Middleton and Holiday being a combined 4-21 from the field and 0-5 from 3 doesn’t bode well for my prediction.

16. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

KD is so damn good.

Gianni's gotta start shooting underhanded FTs.

17. Unimane

A Middleton no show in a playoff road game is nothing unusual. Jrue has been a disappointment this series.

18. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah Well-Known Member

Bucks are getting a bad whistle.

A-Smith likes this.
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Man, Middleton and Holiday sure showed up when it mattered.

20. Unimane

I can't believe we're going to blow it like this. Durant three coming up.

Killer out of bounds play there, Bud.