The Scourge of Voter Fraud

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Apr 1, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems to me like requiring valid ID should be a no brainer.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Why, if it's not necessary? Aren't you for more deregulation?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

why would it not be necessary?

4. Unimane

Because the need is based upon the idea that voter fraud is being committed when it isn't, as noted above. In fact, I''d rather focus on a problem that is far more prevalent in voter suppression and, one that BPV brought up that is near and dear to my heart, gerrymandering, one of the great scourges of our republic.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's like arguing that if you live in a low crime area you should just leave your door open and unlocked. voter suppression is prevalent?

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why do people not have an ID? How can you live without one? Can't you just go to the DMV or county office and get a photo ID that isn't a drivers license? I thought I remember that being an option back when I was first getting my license.

I honestly think you should have to have an ID to vote.

7. Unimane

"more" prevalent, not "widely". I'm still not understanding of creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. It's like banning Liberace from the Playboy Mansion.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think you are pretty naive if you think voter fraud has never happened. usually we are talking about at the rural local level where 50 votes or whatever can make a big difference, but it certainly happens. maybe not to the degree that some suggest, but it seems like a simple and easy safeguard to require valid identification. and who knows maybe liberace will go straight? it's not impossible that someone will see the lack of safeguards and REALLY try to do voter fraud at a huge level.

9. Unimane

You'd be surprised. I was surprised when I saw how many people lived on a cash only basis without an ID for anything. I wouldn't have much of a problem if it were required in the face of documented fraud, but, until then, I don't see the need for it, much less outrage. In fact, as I said above, I think the outrage is actually based upon the idea that these people without IDs don't vote in the manner in which the outraged pro-ID people want.

10. Unimane

Never? No, but the evidence suggests it is very miniscule.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2012/09/voter_id_laws_a_state_by_state_map_reveals_how_much_voter_fraud_there_is_in_the_united_states_almost_none_.html

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd bet the vast majority of these people are illegal immigrants. and i'd bet the ones that aren't arent' voting anyway. if you wont go through the trouble to get a credit card or drivers license i very much doubt you are going to go to the trouble of registering to vote and actually going and doing it.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Miniscule, yet completely unnecessary. And even if you live cash only, you can still get an ID. Want to vote, go to the DMV and get an ID. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Just seems like a no-brainer to me.

13. Unimane

So, you just think so and don't have any actual evidence in regards to this?

14. Unimane

Voting is a fundamental thing in this republic. Why make it even remotely more difficult than absolutely necessary?

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Why the heck should I have to show my ID to buy a bottle of NyQuil at Kroger but not to do something fundamental to the republic?

16. Unimane

Is your buying NyQuil fundamental to the republic? Plus, I can probably offer evidence as to its abuse, although I do agree that requiring an ID for NyQuil is dumb.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

No it isn't. Which is one reason why it's kind of silly

18. JohnnyQuickkick

It just seems like a minor thing to require to help preserve the integrity of something fundamental to the republic, when it's already required for a crap load of less important things

19. Unimane

Agreed.

20. Unimane

The idea that we are too excessive in requiring it in other areas doesn't strike me as a good reason to do so for voting. I'm fine with requiring the ID if there's a documented reason for doing so. Until there's a reason to do so, then I think the minimum requirement possible should be used in such a fundamental right for people in this country.