The Scourge of Voter Fraud

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Apr 1, 2014.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think having a photo ID is pretty minimal. I guess that's where we differ.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

According to the 2010 census, there are 2,126,179 Kansans of voting age. According to the Kansas Department of Motor Vehicles, 2,156,446 Kansans already have a driver's license or a non-driver ID. In other words, there are more photo IDs in circulation than there are eligible voters.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704816604576333650886790480?mg=reno64-wsj

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

generally you need a photo id to buy booze too. you need a photo id to fly on a plane, rent a car, drive a car, etc etc.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

5. Unimane

Those are items where IDs are required by the people making a commercial transaction or, in the case of something like alcoholor driving a car, well documented items that have been abused and damaging to society without regulation.

Again, prove to me this is an actual problem and I'm in board with the IDs being paramount to the voting procedure. Until then, I'm not sold.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems like there aren't many people without an id. so i think it's safe to say that the number of people without an id who want to vote isn't significant enough for us to base legistlation around it.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if anyone off the street can go vote how can it not be a problem? as i said. it's like leaving your door open and expecting not to get robbed. i'd rather lock my door thanks.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is simple and painless to implement. Why wait until some theoretical problem arises before fixing it.

I cannot fathom the objection to an ID required to perform the single most important and powerful right in a republic. It doesn't disenfranchise, it protects the franchise.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's just absurd to argue that requiring an ID is going to sway the elections towards the republicans.

11. Unimane

People rob houses all the time. Voter fraud is exceptionally rare. It's not quite as analogous as it seems.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Why make it so easy to undermine if it's so essential?

13. Unimane

Less absurd than Republicans thinking the lack of one is swaying elections against them, which is what this outrage is about.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We already require voter registration. We're practically in Nazi Germany.

15. Unimane

Because it's actually not happening, nor that easy to do.

16. Unimane

Yes, because I've argued that requiring IDs is part of a totalitarian state. Nice straw man.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I no longer vote Republican and I think it is fundamental to the integrity of our voting system. Do you know how PO'd I would be if I went up and someone had already voted for me? Has it happened? No. Will it? Probably not, especially in my small town. It has nothing to do with which way the vote would swing. It is just a simple protection that would be painless to everyone involved.

I just don't get the objection. I cannot fathom it one iota.

Oh, and I personally am not outraged by it. Surprised, but not outraged.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it would be ridiculously easy for me to vote a dozen times in LA if i wanted to. and the article i posted showed that once people looked into it they found cases.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Great. So it won't be a problem until we have proof that an election has been lost due to voter fraud. We'll fix it then.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There is already paperwork required. We aren't making it difficult for people to vote. Adding a tad more paperwork doesn't cross some great threshold.