What the hell just happened?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 4, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Fortunately Florida's offense is bad enough to make our defense look good.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Surely some of that was due to suspensions. They'll be back.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's probably been Butch's forte, too. Been a dropoff since that ST/TE coach left, though.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

And when you have a kicker prone to do that, you are an idiot when you line him up to kick a 47 yard FG, only to see it not reach the endzone. Next series, UT takes advantage of the short field and an offense that hasn't done much marches down the field and scores.

If you'll remember, Tech lined up to go for it, looked disorganized and ran out of time, called TO and sent out that poor, disabled kicker. That's a coaching mistake.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Calloway and Scarlett should make a difference, but I'm still pretty sure they suck.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

a local school around here called Trousdale County has been beating bigger, faster and deeper teams for 3 decades without passing the ball. Its a nightmare to play. Zero reason to schedule it and we have some problems, but when I thought we would quit about to go down 28-7 and our supposed best DT getting blown off the ball, we didn't.
    I just have no idea wtf Shoop and company are doing. Since midseason last year we are getting gashed up the middle and on the edges and never have lbs firing upfield to disrupt, while our dbs are 8 yards off the ball with their hips closed. You won't see a bama or fsu face that offense without causing havoc at the los, while we are running laterally, getting cutblocked or giving up the cutback, if, we didn't give up the sideline.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm going to get blasted for saying this, and by a lot of people who know more and are far smarter than I....which is ok.

I think that McKenzie's problem is that he's either lazy, soft, or both and that he lacks the meanness required of dominant DL's. I agree with Glanville that he's really a guard playing dress-up as a DT. I'm legit unsure as to how seriously he takes it, on the field and off, because it doesn't seem like he does at all.

Yes, I know that he is often double-teamed, and that he occasionally pushes the line and squeezes the pile, and that he frees up others to make plays.....and to that I say - big whoop. Even average defensive lineman routinely do those things and still produce individual stats.

McKenzie just doesn't. Never has, and right now, it looks unlikely that he's capable of it, ever will, or perhaps even wants to.

He doesn't get sacks, and he doesn't consistently (much less dominatingly) stack the line to stuff the run - I'm not sure what defense can be made of a DL who doesn't do those two things, TBH. Case in point: Tech absolutely demolished him/us right up the gut all night long, seemingly at will.

When taking his legit and freakish athletic talent, he may be the most underachieving player on this team, which is saying a mouthful.

And that's what I think until he proves otherwise, and which I'd love for him to do exactly that. But doubt that he will, for all of the reasons mentioned here.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

The second one's trajectory was also straight ahead when it was from a hash. Was going to need to bend to get in. As you said, pretty dang low too.

I'm grateful.

9. Tenacious D

That our DB's continued to play soft against a team that was so obviously poor at passing, and who was racking up 500+ rush yards is just mind-bogglingly and indefensibly stupid.

I don't care why we were doing it, or what we intended - it's so stupid as to border on absurdity.

10. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Isn't that a criminal investigation? If so, they may well NOT be back...

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot of people think Calloway is going to end up kicked off.

Scarlett is good, but until there's any threat of a passing game at all, they're a poor man's 2016 LSU

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's the only part of your post with which I disagree. He was disruptive as a frosh, at least in spurts. In fact, I thought he looked like a guy worth his recruiting ratings. And now he doesn't.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He played well last year until he was injured, too.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I certainly hope it was for their safety. It would explain some things, but the idea feels like rationalization after seeing some of the other things done on d.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

15. Tenacious D

We play on national tv, as the only game of the day.

We get embarrassingly dominated by a middling ACC team running an archaic offense, and which we've had 8 months to prepare for.

We still manage to add yet another brilliant meme to the already voluminous library of shit that makes us a national laughingstock with that trash can stupidity.

Yet, because we somehow manage to miraculously "win" the game...it not only fails to advance us toward Butch Jones' firing, but will actually work to solidify his tenure here, instead.

We can't even **** up correctly - we **** up being ****ed up. We're actually doing a tremendous disservice to things which are perpetually, completely and irrevocably ****ed up - because they just can't be expected to possible keep up with our blistering pace of inventing new ways of being so thoroughly ****ed up. We are the Michael Phelps of ****ing up and the Michelangelo of missed opportunities.

Best, or worst, this is now the most mother ****ing Tennessee shit of all time. In fact, it is EXACTLY this sort of ****ed up shit which is now more closely synonymous with Tennessee than anything else, and even moreso than the checkerboard, Orange and White, Smokey and Rocky Top, combined.

We are literally inventing brand new and bigger ways to **** ourselves even harder, and for the foreseeable future.

This is our unwavering reality. To have become the living embodiment of cartoonish incompetence.

This program isn't going to do jack shit - JACK SHIT - until Jones' stupid ass is gone, and anyone who either advocated for his hiring or supported his being allowed to remain has been removed and silenced, fully and finally, going forward. And I'll have strong words with any foolishly ****ed up moron who defends this ****ed up shit show, who says - or even suggests - otherwise.

16. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I told my buddies that it reminded me of Trousdale County almost to a T.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Will be interesting to see how they look when they get their players back. As I understand it one of them was their best Offensive talent.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I told my dad something similar this morning, with a lot fewer words.

Last nights game was the worst possible outcome for our program long-term. Everyone I've talked to this morning is over the moon about the big comeback against an ACC team on national TV. A one point win in double OT masks all the negative from the game for 99% of the fan base.

19. MWR

MWR Contributor

While I could have watched all the Vol's/GT game, instead I watched a lot of the Voyager "Laborg" Day marathon on the BBC. At best, UT is now a middle of the road football program.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm trying to remember, had GT tried to use a speed option look with the B-back being the pitch man at all until the last play?