What the hell just happened?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 4, 2017.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

From memory from the broadcast, we've played 20 as a program which leads the NCAA.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

if he doesn't go to the SEC champ game this year or next, he'll be gone

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Once before, that I remember, and got a bunch of yards

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

He should have been gone for not going last year in the worst SEC East since the conference split into divisions.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ridiculous timeframe.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That's what I'm seeing - he's likely going to get to 9 wins, +/- 1.

Even given his notable and lengthy history of sheer incompetence, teams like USC, KY, Mizzou and Vandy simply don't have the talent to consistently catch lightning in a bottle (for them) to beat Tennessee. Florida is a complete shit-show. I'm still not convinced that UGA is worth a shit, and Eason is already banged up. Could we lose one or more of these games? Sure we could. We could lose all of them, but it's most likely that we lose one of these, to LSU and will get destroyed by Bama (4 TD's, easy). Worst case, that's 9-3.

And that's not only going to get him extended, but will serve as the best possible proof to my argument that the best way to get rid of a mediocre coach is to have never hired them to begin with.

At some point, we're going to have to reconcile our disdain with Jones, justified as it is, with the fact that Jones is everything that most TN boosters, Admin and fans want, or at least will be largely happy to accept - that good is good enough, and somehow isn't the enemy of great.

It just is what it is. It's our terrible reality.

7. Tenacious D

Hell, let's give him 5 or six more years to accomplish what should have been twice done by now, at the very least.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

If the defense we saw Monday is what we see all season, he has about as much chance of winning 9 games as I do winning the NBA slam dunk contest

9. Ssmiff

read a little more about some of Shoops numbers. Last 9 games at UT, we would be ranked 127 of 128 teams in rushing defense. His last 6 games at PSU sucked too. Something is amiss and it's not Butch micromanaging or Shoop not having his own assistants. Even Les Miles mentioned every coach should know to blitz the triple option, but we never did. Wtf is Shoop doing that allows so many mismatches.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've seen Tennessee play two option teams, and in both cases it seems we took the "how not to defend the option" as our guide.

12. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

In all seriousness with Irma forecast to be over Gainesville mid next week something may happen with that game.....surprised no one has talked about it...

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Shoop would have been best served, and I am not joking about this, to consult with high school coaches at some point over the last few months. There are guys across this state who see that offense every week. Pick their brains.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Pretty soon to speculate. It will be cleared out by game time though. Gainesville is far enough inland that I don't see them cancelling the game unless the stadium gets damaged. Especially given last year's fiasco.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Or, perhaps, we can just find a new and exciting way to motivate the players to do things correctly, like have a GA shoot streamers in the air for a tackle behind the LOS or a free BJ from a random coach for each sack, maybe even a special glitter bombing for each lineman that correctly fills their gaps. I have as much faith in those avenues being successful as I do with Butch, Shoop and Crew of being able to adjust and fix certain deficiencies.

16. Tenacious D

I would love for you to be right.

17. Ssmiff

absolutely. But with Warren and Hoke, I thought he would have enough input. I think those HS coaches all know if you sit back and try to figure out whats going on, your defense will get gashed.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Laughable

19. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Opinions vary. I think a comeback in the only game in town wasn't so bad. This does not mean I am predicting a Natty for the Vols. But, we actually made some plays when we had to. No key injuries on the DL. Hardly doomsday. GT is not the dipstick that will judge this team. FL/GA/USC/LSU/Vandy(puke) will.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kendall Vickers didn't return from injury to the d line